Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since the foglights on my 98 Legacy Outback are kinda a joke and only run with the main lights on (defeating the purpose) I was considering replacing the units with some bright beams for night driving.

Has anyone had luck doing this and can recommend a type that will fit in the hole.

I broke one of the lens on my fogs and it seems funny to buy a whole new unit if what I really need are super brights.

Thanks,

Paul

Homer, Alaska

'98 Legacy Outback

They won't turn on with the parking lights on?

Below the bumper isn't all that great of a place to put driving lights. Too much light will get reflected off the road in front of you, and not as much will be where you need it- far ahead of the car.

The lights will also have to be aimed higher, which makes things worse, because then most of the light is just shining up into the sky. I've got my Hella FF1000s ghetto rigged above my bumper, and I feel they're in the perfect position. I kind of shake my head when I see guys with expensive lights on expensive light bars, mounted 3 inches from the ground.

I'd suggest putting some better fogs in the fog lamp holes and re-wiring them to come on whenever you want. The Hella 500s fog lights are good.

Danielsternlighting is a great online resource for lighting information.

Edit- picture:

DSC01809.jpg