Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I need some advice on EA81 Clutch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thedoctor

thedoctor

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Lancaster

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

I have an 83 dl front wheel drive and I'm getting ready to do the clutch this weekend. I have a spare engine off 84 GL 4WD. Can I/ should I use the flywheel from the 84 GL, which takes a bigger clutch and use it on my dl. Is this doable or even desirable.

I pulled the 84 flywheel for resurfacing tomorrow, but I won't do that if it's not a good idea to go with the bigger clutch.

If I stay with my present flywheel, I might not be able to have it resurfaced. How important is that?

#2 redskin

redskin

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Port Macquarie

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

Doc, you can fit this to your car it's straightforward, but unless you are planning to change the gearbox also, not adviseable as the bigger clutch is a 21 splined unit as opposed to the smaller clutch, (19, l think), so your standard box will not mate up to your engine if you do fit the bigger unit. If you are still unsure, count the number of splines inside the clutch plate and then on the gearbox input shaft.

#3 thedoctor

thedoctor

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Lancaster

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:09 AM

Thanks, Red. "Small is beautiful" as EF Schumacher said. I'll keep my smaller clutch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users