Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tube Doors

Jibs

Most who were at the show probably saw my Brat with the tube doors, but those who weren't here ya go:

DCAM5947_Small.jpg

They use the stock door mounts as well as the stock door latch.

I really enjoy them, they come in handy when I'm offroading. They're A LOT lighter than the stock doors as well, so thats good as well. What are your opinions on tube doors? They DO make driving on the highway a little noiser than with conventional doors, but they help a bunch with creating wind and making me cooler in the heat. And YES I did travel all the way from Reno to the show with these puppies on! I didn't get pics up sooner as I wanted it to be a surprise for everyone at the show. I'll get more pics up soon.

Driving without doors is just plain fun.

Tube doors are the next best thing.

However I have to wonder about the effect of the structural integrity of the unibody when the doors are removed?

I think a good compromise would be a cut down door?

( Planting ideas in someone's head...) :rolleyes:

i like them. if i ever got time that's what i was going to do. since i don't have time to even hardly get around to fixing my car... i'll just be running without doors all around. 118 degrees and no a/c... need those doors off. along with the fact seeing on the trail is a lot easier.

they are sweet though!

Ran my old Toyota without doors quite a bit. Great on noce days and out on the trail. Not so good when you have to drive 4 hours to get home in the rain and later blizzard conditions though. Still got a lot of thumbs up.

I wouldn't worry about the unibody when running without doors. People have been doing it with XJ's (Cherokee) for years.

If you do run doorless, get rocker panel protection!!!! I learned that the hard way. Doors don't fit quite right after the rockers fight with rocks!!!(but thats what the BFH is for, right?)

The doors aren't a structural member. Otherwise, it would be difficult to poen them if you had one wheel up on a rock.

This is true. The body shouldn't be tweaking to the point that you are relying on the doors to keep it intact. That would mean that you are an East coaster.

I drove my Brat around for an entire summer without the doors on it, and suffered no ill effects.

Hey it's about time someone built tube doors. Nice job. I bet you could sell quite a few of these. Seems to me that these doors would be about as structural as stock doors. And if the unibody is getting flexed and abused a lot, then it might be time for a cage and/or sub-frame. But of all the old Soobs getting torture tested on the trails, how many have folded up? Amazingly the unibody seems to take it pretty well.

For foul weather and highway, you could add quick mount lexan or aluminum door skins with flush mount quater turn fasteners. Or maybe stock steel door skins and clear vinyl window with velcro? I think Summit has the fasteners and not too expensive.

hey they are sweet! i saw you at the show with them... going into the bush and mud...

wearing WHITE pants!!! you crazy baffoon!:lol:

going without doors though... the unibody does get some structural support from the doors... especially in frontal crashes...

have you ever wondered why most minivans and some cars automaticly lock the doors when you get over a certain speed??? its not to stop children from getting outa the car... its to provide strength!

just thought i'd give my thoughts,

hey they are sweet! i saw you at the show with them... going into the bush and mud...

wearing WHITE pants!!! you crazy baffoon!:lol:

Thanks for enjoying them. I know about the pants I planned it that way.:brow: It's more fun with white pants cause you could tell that we were out and having fun. That and I didn't want to take the time to change.

• 4 weeks later...
cool... That brat is turning into a wicked offroad machine. Tho I do like to keep the interior clean in mine... And they would prolly be completely illagel in Australia.

Yeah I can tell I'm gonna be cleaning a lot with these doors on. I put seat covers on to keep those as nice and clean as possible, I might put another seat cover over the ones on there as well. Where I live here in Nevada, It was legal to run without any doors at all. I called the DMV and asked they said I could run without doors or anything. It varies from state to state, cause when I went up to WCSS7 in Washington, they have rules saying that I HAD to have to have doors, so that's why I got these tube doors.