Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with '91 legacy AC

My '91 legacy has 175K on it. The AC has never been serviced.

Over the past 3 years of operation the unit has become intermittent. Its as though it has a mind of its own. In the morning, when I go to work, the AC is reluctant to come on. Sometimes I'm a mile from the job, and it decides its time to cool the car. Other times it may kick on almost immediately and remain that way or go instantly back off. When it does come on, it cools the car as it did when new.

When I go out to lunch and the interior of the car is hot, the AC comes on 100% of the time and operates great all the way to my destination. When I leave my lunch stop to return to work, however, the AC becomes more iffy. It may come on immediately and work fine or have a delayed start and operate intermittently on the way back to work.

Occasionally, I get into the car and drive it for 20miles and the AC works perfectly. Any suggestions?

I wish someone would reply to your problem with your AC. I have a '90 legacy and we seem to have the same problem. On mine if you change it to defrost or heat or anything else and then change it back to AC, usually it will not change. So we try to leave it on AC throughout the summer. Makes it difficult when you need to defrost though.

Thanks,

Jo

QUOTE=saw]My '91 legacy has 175K on it. The AC has never been serviced.

Over the past 3 years of operation the unit has become intermittent. Its as though it has a mind of its own. In the morning, when I go to work, the AC is reluctant to come on. Sometimes I'm a mile from the job, and it decides its time to cool the car. Other times it may kick on almost immediately and remain that way or go instantly back off. When it does come on, it cools the car as it did when new.

When I go out to lunch and the interior of the car is hot, the AC comes on 100% of the time and operates great all the way to my destination. When I leave my lunch stop to return to work, however, the AC becomes more iffy. It may come on immediately and work fine or have a delayed start and operate intermittently on the way back to work.

Occasionally, I get into the car and drive it for 20miles and the AC works perfectly. Any suggestions?

i have a 90 legacy witht the same problem too. i believe mine is a compressor problem. it will cool, then it won't. i think the compressor is cutting in and out at random times. if i figure it out, i will post the news.