Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How would you tint a new Outback?

Never done this before. Any ideas? The driver and passenger doors can't exceed 35% vlt, but the back windows and tailgate can be whatever. Should I just do 35% all around or make the rear windows darker? The car is a red 05 Outback. Are some brands of tint better than others? 3M?

Thanks,

-J

Absorka,

I'm not familiar with the police in the area where you drive, but I can tell you that we have the same laws here in Southern Ontario, Canada. Even so, since 1986, both of my daily drivers have been professionally tinted as dark as can be accomplished on ALL windows, except the windshield. My wife and I have never been stopped by the police for excessive tinting wherever we have driven. Whenever I have been stopped, and at border crossing, or drinking driver stops during holiday periods, I have always put all the windows down before the officer got to the car, rather than give him the opportunity to take note of the tint. Yes, I know that some day I may pay the price and face a fine, but its already been 19 years!!!! I don't believe that the make of the tint is an issue, but I do believe that a reputable installation shop is a must. If you don't think so, just remember how many do it yourself installations you can spot where the tint is just nothing but bubbles! Do whatever your conscience allows you to do in your jurisdiction. If you go too dark and get caught, the worst is a fine and you have to strip off the front side windows and go back to the 35%. Me, I'll take the chance, but then again I'm retired, long past my tom-catting days, and have had a perfect driving record for years. (Maybe I'm just boring?) Good luck whichever way you go.

the police have easier ways of collecting your money, say speeding or wreckless driving, but as far as tint goes, go darker, i have 20% on the windows in my 98 Legacy sedan, and i did it myself. not hard, just go to home depot or lowes and get the tint solution and sqeegies, and follow the direction. do it in a shop or garage where there is no wind.

~Josh~

Oddly enough, Troy NY recently had a crackdown on tinted windows. They made a big show of it, broadcasting on the news and what not. Probably more of a publicity stunt than anything else, but whenever I get around to tinting, I'll be looking up the law books ;o)

• 2 years later...

I Got 20% on all of my windows, and proffesionally done it is very easy to see out while driving, but seeing in is difficult.

I have tinted cars in the past, and could never get it as nice as one of those computer cutting tint places. On average I have been charged around $200, But if it's a new car, it is definetly worth it.

You get a lifetime warranty, the computer cuts all the tint out exactly to the measurements of your car, all in all a very classy way to go.

For an old hatch or somthing like that I would say do it yourself but the car is very new so, that's what I have done/would do, in your situation. Good luck!!!!

Jason.

Absorka-welcome fellow Montanan- yes we do have laws regarding tinting,whether or not your local cop is gonna notice is up to the cop if you get my meaning.I've had numerous cars tinted and most of the good shops won't tint beyond the law(35% on the rears if I remember). I think I was told at one time there are special rules for limos.

Different States ..different laws..in CT the front doors are not 'supposed" to be no less then 35% ..but the back doors and rears can be as dark as you want...most go 35% froms 20% rears... I had my Imp done at 20% all around except the windshield..and I have seen some cars who have actually done thier windshield too....and like BattleAxeT6 says..lifetime warranty when you have it professionally done.. Mine is Lumex.. I think..for brand...good stuff though..

Now around here..they will not mess with you on tint unless you are doing something else stupid .On another note..My 20% actually appears lighter because I have a light interior. If you have a darker interior it will make the tint seem darker.

Oddly enough, Troy NY recently had a crackdown on tinted windows. They made a big show of it, broadcasting on the news and what not. Probably more of a publicity stunt than anything else, but whenever I get around to tinting, I'll be looking up the law books ;o)

hi the bard!

I live in troy ny. I don't have my windows tinted for that reason. It's also an excuse for a cop to pull you over anytime they want. If I've had a beer, the last thing I want to worry about is getting pulled over and harrassed.

Have it professionally done. It's well worth the few hundred to have it done right. The stuff is no end of trouble without the right tools.

If the cops give you grief tell them you have skin cancer and can't be exposed to UV.

Besides - the most you'll likely get is a warning unless you are doing something else as well. The fine is not large enough for them to actually write it.

GD

my outback is at 30% all around. unfortunately, Iowa law states front drivers and passengers windows have to let 85% through, so only factory glass tint. nothing added...

just wrote out a check for $70 ($15 fine, $5 surcharge, $50 court costs) :lol:

I tried the "but I just bought it this way from Washington" excuse, that while true, didn't fly :cool:

Huh - here you only pay the fines. None of this surcharge or court fees. That's pretty silly. Revenue generator I suppose.

Here they rarely write the BS tickets like that. I've been pulled over a half a dozen times at least in several vehicles for cracked winsheilds - never have they actually written it. Generally it's just a friendly warning.

The GF's '07 OBS has 15% on everything but the windsheild. They have never said anything here in OR or in NV.

GD

i got my obw tinted soon as i got it. not the darkest as i gotta see out at night but its dark enough. i also had the front side windows done with an almost clear special tint that actually cuts the rays down really well. was done in 01 so i can't remember much on the tech side.

Some food for thought,

a few years back while riding my motorbike I t-boned someone who pulled out in front of me. they had dark tint on their driver's side windows so I couldn't see whether or not they were looking in my direction before making their turn. Turns out they weren't. Luckily for me I let off the throttle so had time to lay it down before slamming into them. I had no major injuries and I got a new bike out of it, but it could've been much worse. Also may have been avoided all together if I could've seen their eyes.

Living in the city I don't know how many times I would've been run over if I hadn't been able to see the driver's eyes to know they hadn't looked for people before turning.

Just something to consider:)

it is very easy to see out while driving, but seeing in is difficult. .

I know this is not the forum to mention this

but

could it be

the law was written so when

an officer of the law walks up to

a car window

he can see if the crack head behind the wheel has

a 357 magnum pointed at him?

My 1st car had 5% tint on the whole car, and I can't tell you how many times I was followed/stopped for no reason. It wasn't worth it, I got my car searched on average once a month.

I eventually took it off cause it wasn't worth all the hastle.

I just realized the original post was from july, so all this advice is probably a little too late. haha

definitely get it professionally done. call around and compare prices. it cost me 160 bucks to get the back 5 windows on my 05 xt obw done 3 days after i bought it. lifetime warranty and no worries...took the guy 2 hours tops and i have pics in the gallery i think. so totally worth the price to avoid any hassles if youve never doen it before. plus, they know the legal limit for your area.