Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crank pulley? kinda odd?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1phtram

1phtram

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Boise

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:12 AM

New to subies..but when our 91 legacy runs the crank pullet kinda turns a lil out of whack, like, swirls around, kinda like it's bent, is this normal? I don't know how anyone could bend the end of the crank.

#2 offroadsubaruguy

offroadsubaruguy

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • arvada, colorado

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:16 AM

if your really worried about it, just change it out.... but i would say that as long as the belts stay on, it sohould be fine

#3 TheBigJ

TheBigJ

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Everett

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

When I bought my 90 legacy the crank pulley was kind of shimmying like that but I decided to live with it. I looked again at a later date and it seemed fine. Weird.

I think it probably has more to do with engine timing and smooth idle than a bent crank at least in my case. I have noticed improvement since I replaced my plugs, but that doesn't mean it was BECAUSE of my plugs.

Also I noticed when I re-sealed the oil pump that the T-belt cover under the pulley had worn away as the pulley rubbed against it. It was warped, so it's possible that the extra friction on one side of the pulley was causing the shimmey.

Or, maybe the pulley wasn't torqued right and it's actually mounted on the crank a slight angle instead of true 90 degrees.

Take it off and inspect the area, see what you find.

#4 reddevil

reddevil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

The stock crank pulley has a rubber dampener built in. It can fail and cause problems. If it looks wobbly it means its out of balance! REPLACE IT before you have to replace your crank itself! Just find a junkyard pulley or a cheap alumium one off ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users