Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am certain that someone in the past has stated that chevy Celebrity rotors are a direct swap, at a fraction of the price for the Subaru part, but I don't know the years. I've searched all over the various forums, and no joy. Any clues here?

Yesterday on the way to work a cowgirl in a Ford dually pulling a loaded four-horse trailer pulled out RIGHT in front of me from an arena (mind you, I'm the ONLY car on the highway). As I slalomed around her horn blaring and ABS working overtime, I see (big surprise here) she's blabbing on a effing cell phone! If I had known that at the outset I woulda just hit the damn trailer and sued her chaps off.

Anyhow, we all know how Legacy rotors perform on high speed panic stops, and mine have been turned three times already, so pretty sure they are toast after this panic stop (well, slow-down) they're sure pulsing now, and prolly can't be turned again ... even if they were, they won't hold.

Can anyone remember that post? Or, any other options for my 'potato-chip' front brakes?

ps. I finally figgered a way around my office firewall.

Thanks all.

mtsmiths:

I don't remember seeing a post about that crossover, but...

So far I'm very happy with the Brembos I got from http://www.tirerack.com. They were a fair bit cheaper than OEM for my 97 OB even with shipping. I ordered on a Tuesday afternoon and got them on Thursday IIRC. Very fast service! The quality seems quite high. And no more foot / hand massage from the worn old rotors.

Steve

mtsmiths:

I don't remember seeing a post about that crossover, but...

So far I'm very happy with the Brembos I got from www.tirerack.com. They were a fair bit cheaper than OEM for my 97 OB even with shipping. I ordered on a Tuesday afternoon and got them on Thursday IIRC. Very fast service! The quality seems quite high. And no more foot / hand massage from the worn old rotors.

Steve

Thanks to both, now, do you know where I can get some 'cowgirl whistles' for my front bumper, perferrably ones loud enough to be heard over an effing cell phone?

You could do what all the cool kids are doing:

brakes3gm.jpg

As far as rotors go, you could check the regular online places like buybrakes.com and importrp.com. I think napa has pretty inexpensive rotors. I mean, as long as they're flat, I don't see much of a difference between a $200 slotted disc and a $30 no-name blank.

I might pick up some Hella Supertones one of these days.

starkiller:

There's two in each car, a "high" and "low" tone. They make beautiful attention grabbing music together. Just wired right in with very minor ghetto fabrication required. One could use a relay and a fused direct lead I suppose, but I used the stock wiring. On the TS the horns (there's two) were already in the grille in front of the radiator, so that was easy. On the OB the wimpy stock horn is behind the headlight :rolleyes: which doesn't help anyone outside the engine compartment hear the thing.

Back on brake topic: Put the Brembos to the test last night, first good canyon descent, all is very well. Still a very slight shimmy that I'm thinking could be the rear discs, as it's not felt in the steering wheel but in the seat o' the pants and pedal. That could be tires though. The ProACT ceramic pads I got with the Brembo rotors seem to dust more than the old ones, but I don't really care one bit, as long as they stop the car.

Steve