Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester rear window sprayer

Stupid question follows:

Recently and for no apparent reason, the rear window sprayer on my new-to-me 01 Forester has stopped working. Caveats:

1. The pump still works (it makes noise at least)

2. I can feel movement in the hose when the pump is run--I don't feel pressure per se though.

3. Fluid is above the intake level for the rear sprayer.

The fluid ran a little low, and I'm suspecting that I just have a big-ol air bubble in the system? Is this common? Or is there some other piece of plumbing I need to check?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

One thing I can suggest is raise the liftgate and remove the rubber sleeve on the left side, it has grommets on both ends that snap into the holes in the liftgate and the body. The washer hose should be there. It could be hardened and pinched flat from fatigue, like it happened in my wagon. I didn't find out till the hose actually cracked and the fluid dripped through the headliner trim in the back. Before then, I had to hold the wash knob for some 10 seconds before anything would come out, and simply became used to it. If that section of the hose is damaged, cut it out and replace with a piece of vacuum tubing using barb connectors. Make sure the cut ends do not drop into the body and the liftgate. On one end, the hose is taped to a tab on the sleeve. Tape the splice to the tab.

Vacuum hoses are thick and resist kinking better than the original tubing.

There is a check valve right by the rear sprayer...It's an inline valve in the hose and looks like a hose connector. These usually stick shut. Open the hose and use a toothpick to dislodge the small ball / spring. It will usually stick again, replace it. Subaru part only and the dealers have'em in stock.

It's there to keep fluid in the hose so it sprays as soon as you push the button.

avk:

Good to know, and I checked it out. There seems to be no binding or flattening in the hose as it comes out of the rear gate, and the hose still has it's flexibility. I may however splice in some vaccuum tubing to keep this from being a problem.

ferret:

I'll check this one out, this type of thing was a pretty common issue on a car I owned some years ago (700 series Volvo). Most folks just kept a small supply of valves on the shelf at home and replaced them when they did a tune-up. How far downstream from the pump is the valve?

Thanks guys!

Eric