Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is 2.2 Worth it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buildlegacy?

buildlegacy?

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

Need some help. just purchased '97 legacy l (EJ22E). non-turbo. Never owned a subaru. familiar with acura's & 7's. I am new to AWD. I've been doing some research on my engine and getting frustrated. I would like to upgrade (intake, exhaust...maybe turbo). Not sure if its worth it. engine looks clean, has 148,000. only downside is automatic. can't find parts. can i build my own intake? or maybe use turbo on existing engine?what about swapping heads or blocks. I've noticed(like honda's) there are multiple engines worth building and swapping, but there are also some that are not worth it. Am i stuck with a lemon, or can I add some HP?

#2 A_DuB

A_DuB

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Leavenworth

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

Your good to go on the exhaust and intake but forget about putting a turbo in. I dont think that the non-turbo are nearly as strong as the ej22t block, I bleave. Anyway it wouldnt even be any fun with automatic;) . Vist http://www.rallitek.com/index.asp for your exhaust and intake.

#3 JT95

JT95

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Bowling Green

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

This is what a tech at MSN Ignition told me about my 95 2.2:

We do not have items that will replace the factory igniter or computer but will tie in with it. If the computer has not been modified to extend the factory limiter then use the 6A part number 6200. If you have modified or plan on extending the factory limiter then use the 6AL part number 6420. This will help increase fuel burn in the cylinder and by doing this it will help performance, mileage, throttle response, starting and over all driveability. The amount will vary from application to application but it will help. The coil the part number is 8207 Blaster SS and an MSD tech adapter 8910. This be a complete set up for your car. These will be available through one of our dealers listed on our web page.

I've not put this stuff on my car because I've been spending any free cash on non-automotive toys, but I used to use MSN upgrades on my V8 Chevys years ago and always saw/felt an improvement. May be worth checking into.

#4 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

Well, it's worth it as a good, solid, reliable motor that will last you many years. A freer flowing muffler will bring out the boxer rumble, but there's really nothing you can do to make more power. The intake is already pretty efficient, and you can't reliable push much boost through a stock open-deck block. I've come to live with that, and instead dumped some money on suspension and brakes.

If you want a fast Subaru on the cheap, I'd suggest picking up an older Impreza shell and swapping a WRX driveline. I know of a place in SoCal that will do everything for you for $6500, parts included. One of these days...

#5 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

one thing you need to know is that most or all of the performance parts for the SOHC EJ25 (2.5 litre) are shared between the EJ22 also, as far as performance and more power, open up the exhaust a little, get a header and 2.25'' exhaust back to a free flowing muffler, not a glasspack please. and punch out a CAT if you dont mind staring at a CEL all the time (CEL is check engine light).

~Josh~

#6 buildlegacy?

buildlegacy?

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

one thing you need to know is that most or all of the performance parts for the SOHC EJ25 (2.5 litre) are shared between the EJ22 also, as far as performance and more power, open up the exhaust a little, get a header and 2.25'' exhaust back to a free flowing muffler, not a glasspack please. and punch out a CAT if you dont mind staring at a CEL all the time (CEL is check engine light).

~Josh~

So basically your saying that EJ25 headrers and intake (aftermarket) will bolt up to my EJ22 with no mods. That'd be pretty f_!@ing sweet. KNow of any particualr sights to buy that won't rob the wallet? Let me know at ian_dypold@yahoo.com

#7 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

i might be wrong, but i thought the 2.5L had a 4 port exhaust, and the 2.2L has a 2 port... well. my 2.2 has a 2 port :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users