Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help. just purchased '97 legacy l (EJ22E). non-turbo. Never owned a subaru. familiar with acura's & 7's. I am new to AWD. I've been doing some research on my engine and getting frustrated. I would like to upgrade (intake, exhaust...maybe turbo). Not sure if its worth it. engine looks clean, has 148,000. only downside is automatic. can't find parts. can i build my own intake? or maybe use turbo on existing engine?what about swapping heads or blocks. I've noticed(like honda's) there are multiple engines worth building and swapping, but there are also some that are not worth it. Am i stuck with a lemon, or can I add some HP?

This is what a tech at MSN Ignition told me about my 95 2.2:

We do not have items that will replace the factory igniter or computer but will tie in with it. If the computer has not been modified to extend the factory limiter then use the 6A part number 6200. If you have modified or plan on extending the factory limiter then use the 6AL part number 6420. This will help increase fuel burn in the cylinder and by doing this it will help performance, mileage, throttle response, starting and over all driveability. The amount will vary from application to application but it will help. The coil the part number is 8207 Blaster SS and an MSD tech adapter 8910. This be a complete set up for your car. These will be available through one of our dealers listed on our web page.

I've not put this stuff on my car because I've been spending any free cash on non-automotive toys, but I used to use MSN upgrades on my V8 Chevys years ago and always saw/felt an improvement. May be worth checking into.

Well, it's worth it as a good, solid, reliable motor that will last you many years. A freer flowing muffler will bring out the boxer rumble, but there's really nothing you can do to make more power. The intake is already pretty efficient, and you can't reliable push much boost through a stock open-deck block. I've come to live with that, and instead dumped some money on suspension and brakes.

If you want a fast Subaru on the cheap, I'd suggest picking up an older Impreza shell and swapping a WRX driveline. I know of a place in SoCal that will do everything for you for $6500, parts included. One of these days...

one thing you need to know is that most or all of the performance parts for the SOHC EJ25 (2.5 litre) are shared between the EJ22 also, as far as performance and more power, open up the exhaust a little, get a header and 2.25'' exhaust back to a free flowing muffler, not a glasspack please. and punch out a CAT if you dont mind staring at a CEL all the time (CEL is check engine light).

~Josh~

one thing you need to know is that most or all of the performance parts for the SOHC EJ25 (2.5 litre) are shared between the EJ22 also, as far as performance and more power, open up the exhaust a little, get a header and 2.25'' exhaust back to a free flowing muffler, not a glasspack please. and punch out a CAT if you dont mind staring at a CEL all the time (CEL is check engine light).

~Josh~

So basically your saying that EJ25 headrers and intake (aftermarket) will bolt up to my EJ22 with no mods. That'd be pretty f_!@ing sweet. KNow of any particualr sights to buy that won't rob the wallet? Let me know at ian_dypold@yahoo.com