Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo timer for my 05 outback xt?

hi, just bought a brandnew outback xt limited and am wondering if it's a good idea to get a turbo timer for it. a couple of friends have told me that it'd be good but what do you guys think? thanks!

hi, just bought a brandnew outback xt limited and am wondering if it's a good idea to get a turbo timer for it. a couple of friends have told me that it'd be good but what do you guys think? thanks!

Based on my experience with previous turbo cars, if you have a water cooled turbo, you don't need a turbo timer. However, I would not get into boost much immediately before cutting off the ignition. With just a little caution, you should be fine without a turbo timer.

Todd

Subaru designed the cooling system with a resivoir of coolant very close to the turbo. This is supposed to keep the coolant flowing by convection after the car is shut off. It can't hurt to have a turbo timer, but as long as you go easy on the car for a minute or two before shutting it off you should be fine. Generally Once I get into my neighbor hood I drive slow until I get to my house and then just shut it off.

Keith