Ultimate Subaru Message Board

strange problem: outback 2000 wipers and cd player

hi all! [waves] i'm new.

we recently bought a used outback (2000 limited). we're very happy with it so far, except for one thing:

shortly after we bought it, the windshield wipers would erratically not work. basically, sometimes when the car is started they work, sometimes they don't. if they don't, sometimes they spontaneously come back on. we've never noted them to work and then stop working during the same drive. if they aren't working, restarting the car eventually gets them to work.

we then noticed that the cd player would also fail to work during these episodes. i was told by a mechanic that "the wipers and radio are not on the same fuse," but, to be honest, i don't even know if the radio doesn't work, just that the cd player doesn't--and i have no idea if there's any distinction between the two electrically, anyway!

we haven't noticed anything else not working, but we have systematically tested stuff or anything.

i'm probably taking it into a shop on monday, but i thought i might as well see if anyone has any guesses about this: maybe i could point the mechanic in the right direction or avoid getting charged for something that it isn't.

any help much appreciated.

thanks!

tom

hi all! [waves] i'm new.

we recently bought a used outback (2000 limited). we're very happy with it so far, except for one thing:

shortly after we bought it, the windshield wipers would erratically not work. basically, sometimes when the car is started they work, sometimes they don't. if they don't, sometimes they spontaneously come back on. we've never noted them to work and then stop working during the same drive. if they aren't working, restarting the car eventually gets them to work.

we then noticed that the cd player would also fail to work during these episodes. i was told by a mechanic that "the wipers and radio are not on the same fuse," but, to be honest, i don't even know if the radio doesn't work, just that the cd player doesn't--and i have no idea if there's any distinction between the two electrically, anyway!

we haven't noticed anything else not working, but we have systematically tested stuff or anything.

i'm probably taking it into a shop on monday, but i thought i might as well see if anyone has any guesses about this: maybe i could point the mechanic in the right direction or avoid getting charged for something that it isn't.

any help much appreciated.

thanks!

tom

Perhaps there is a ground connection somewhere that is corroded or intermittent?

I dunno

Carl

It may be a problem with the motor. I would look for voltage getting too the motor from the switch while the problem is happening. The problem may be caused by the switch also. If you aren't getting any voltage to the motor then I would look at the switch next.

tlr3,

As well as what has already been suggested I would add the possibility of corroded or loose wiring connectors at the wiper motor and the CD player. Sometimes just disconnecting them, cleaning up the contacts and refastening them is all it takes to correct an electrical problem. Simple and cost effective. Try it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

and here's the answer:

it's the *ignition*!

yeah, it really is. we're waiting for the part to come in, and if we're careful and don't leave the key on our heavy keychains, it works ok. who knows how long that'll last, though. . .

so, yeah, i really couldn't have fixed that myself. bummer repair to make on a brand-new-to-us used car. :(

thanks for all your thoughts!

cheers,

tom

thanks for all of your thoughts--since i'm not much of a mechanic, i will probably be having someone look at it--i'll let y'all know what they say about it.

cheers,

tom

and here's the answer:

it's the *ignition*!

yeah, it really is. we're waiting for the part to come in, and if we're careful and don't leave the key on our heavy keychains, it works ok. who knows how long that'll last, though. . .

so, yeah, i really couldn't have fixed that myself. bummer repair to make on a brand-new-to-us used car. :(

thanks for all your thoughts!

cheers,

tom

thanx for getting back to us.

Carl