Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy Transmission problems

Please help. I'm having difficulty with my 92 Legacy transmission. It's a manual. I just arrived home and as I got out of the car I realized that the car was slowly rolling down the drive. I attempted to put the car into second gear in order to keep it from rolling. I have had no problems with the tranny until today. It usually drives great. Anyhow, as I got out of the car I realized that the gearshift appears to be in neutral. However, it now appears to be stuck in between gears and I can't get it to shift or move. Any suggestions?

Please help. I'm having difficulty with my 92 Legacy transmission. It's a manual. I just arrived home and as I got out of the car I realized that the car was slowly rolling down the drive. I attempted to put the car into second gear in order to keep it from rolling. I have had no problems with the tranny until today. It usually drives great. Anyhow, as I got out of the car I realized that the gearshift appears to be in neutral. However, it now appears to be stuck in between gears and I can't get it to shift or move. Any suggestions?

That is very strange indeed. First thing to look for is if anything is jammed into the shift linkage (long shot) and that all parts of the shift linkage are actually attached where they belong. It coul be that one of the bolts in the shift linkage has come loose and is jammed against the body of the car. That is my first (and most hopeful) guess.