Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL's days are numbered

Well the GL is starting to show its age... today coming home from work, taking off from the 2nd stop light I stopped at the car felt kind of sluggish, I gave it a little more gas

<pop>

<rattle> <rattle>

Uh oh, I think something in the engine let go.

Now the car rattles under load, seems to lightly smoke sometimes. It goes 55 still, maybe more, I didnt want to push it (plus my commute only involves like 1/2 mile at most on the freeway)

I think I am getting a Baja sooner than I planned.

I think at this point I am parting out the car. Its worth WAY more in pieces than as a hole... even if I have to pay someone to help me part it out.

I do have a rebuilt engine.

At 215K the engine blew up, bad compression in #2, swapped in a JDM engine.

A little over a year ago it blew a head gasket so I yanked it and resealed it. Now around 30K later its going bad internally.

Delivering pizza is VERY hard on a car.

Craig, Shannon said you came by today, sorry I missed you, but I work everyday up until a week from Monday (so I have like 8 more days of work before I finally get a weekend)

The good news is I work with a girl who knows people inside Gresham Subaru... so I put in an offer for $500 under invoice for a Baja sport :brow:

almost sounds like a cracked flexplate, but you don;t have a flexplate... (Cuz those will mimic a rod knock, but go away when you back out of it...) Don't worry though, nice thing about soobs is if the flywheel lets go, it takes out your hood, but doesn't come shooting out of the floor like it does on some other cars. (Happened to one of my instructor's friends, he had a Camaro with the 302, and had the clutch in and the flywheel let go, took off both pedals, part of his foot, and exited thorought the side/roof of the car, nearly cut it in half..)

We can have a part out party at the shop, I'll supervise, :brow: . Just got to find a Sunday that Mike doesn't work.

Sunday that I dont work? Good luck :lol:

(my new days off are Monday and Tuesday generally)

Saturday and Sunday are the 2 best days for selling cars.

Though I may be able to get away with working Monday instead of Sunday if no one else in the store is getting the day off and the weather is scheduled to be kinda nasty. (either rainy or really hot, both kill car sales)

I located a baja through Gresham Nissan Subaru. They can get it to me under invoice if I outsource financing. If I do in house SOA financing I forfeit the rebate, but can get a killer APR. Payments differ only be like $9 depending on which way I go. So it all depends on what my banks say.

I may have it by Sunday :banana:

Talked to Jason about it.... maybe I described it bad, or maybe he is right...

We established the car MAY just be pinging really bad.

Basically it sounds like the rattle when you try and start ind 2nd or 3rd gear or go up a hill in the wrong gear.... it just does it easier than before.

The smoke from before really doesnt seem to be there, it was just brief when I heard the pop that one time.

I still think the car is on its way out and I still plan to part it out, but the engine may be fine and just need a good cleaning. :brow: