Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here's a problem that I haven't written about with my 96 Legacy Outback (EJ22) that is seemingly getting worse. The keyless remote system has not worked for a few years now and I have never fixed it--keys only! Over the past year I have noticed that when one opens the driver's door with the key that only the driver's door unlocks (all the doors used to unlock at the same time). Even more recently I have noticed when one sits in the car after opening the door(s) that the locking system tries to activate (circulate?) the locks by itself several times. It is annoying! What stops it is me locking the doors manually from the inside.

Any ideas what could be causing these problems and if there is a soluation to solve the problems?

Thanks!

Sweden

i have similar prob in my 94 legacy.after un-locking driversside door,i have to manually push the lock button on the door to finish the un-locking process on the other doors.

i was told the it's the contacts some where in the drivers door.i guess in the lock.wasn't to clear.

not sure about the doors tring to lock by themselves :confused:

subie94,

One of the contacts seems logical because it is only when the weather is warm and nice that the key will have the power to activate all the locks in the car. Otherwise I need to unlock the driver's door with the key and then reach around and do the rest manually to let he family in.

Sweden

You might try "resetting" your keyless entry system.

In your owners manual there's an explanation of how to do it should you ever need to buy a new keyless fob.

Basically, you have to turn the key in the ignition from "off" to "acc" ten times within five seconds (with all doors shut). Then open and close your driver's door and then click the keyfob lock button within a few seconds after that.

I know it sounds stupid (and it is, really), but that's how the owner's manual says to do it. I regularly have problems with keyless entry in my 2003 Forester, and when I reset the keyfob, things seem to work OK for awhile.

Don't know whether it'll help your problem, but it's cheap and painless and might be worth a try.

I've reprogrammed the keyless entry system now numerous times, but never with the doors shut. The problem is that the reset button on the receiving unit is broken so I need to hold the two remaining (brown) wire pieces together in order to get the reset to trigger. There has been no response to any sort of reset/reprogramming, which has been a topic of past threads of mine. It has been suggested that I look for a new receiving unit on ebay... I'll keep playing with it.

I'll pull the door handle and check out the 'switch' as well. Only 111K on the car and it is starting to drive me nut!

Sweden

by now you will have corrosion on both contacts and mechanism. Just the other day mine was actually having loose screws too. If you take the door panels off remember it is also time to lube the wondow mecanism too, and it is any easy job if you do it all together. Also look for loose screws and damaged window track rubber.

Basically, you have to turn the key in the ignition from "off" to "acc" ten times within five seconds (with all doors shut). Then open and close your driver's door and then click the keyfob lock button within a few seconds after that.

You have 15 Seconds, but it sounds like that's what needs to be done. Check the manual, I don't know if the procedure is different, but I can't imagine that I'd have 15 seconds, and others would only have 5.

I spent a bit of time with the vehicle last night. I removed the door panel and played around some with the wires. I also removed the keyless remote receiver. I thought it helped but I got a little lock activation upon a test drive.

This car has a ghost...

Sweden

• 10 months later...

The weather is nice and my OBW is running well again, so I thought it time to revisit a few of the persistant issues that are still haunting the vehicle... like the locking system. During the whole winter, I had minumal problems with the locking system activating (or locking by itself). Now that it is warm, the locks on all the doors except the driver's door are activiating by themselves almost everytime we use the car. They lock and then try to unlock. There seemingly is not enough power to unlock the doors though. I can stop the activation by locking the driver's door. I've tried to play around with the activator in the driver's door (cleaning contacts, etc.). I have also removed the keyless unit to no problem solution.

Any ideas, or is it just the trolls living in the door?

Sweden

Which side? I haven't taken apart the passenger's side door yet, but is there an actuator there as well? I hear all the 'clicking' happening on the passenger's side, thinking that something fishy is happening there.

Sweden

By switch, you mean 'actuator' correct? If I recall correctly, it is the only thing in there with wires.

Thanks, I give it a shot...

Sweden

That's correct. I think all the locks are controlled by the driver's door lock. If the outside passenger door lock can lock all the doors also the problem could be from that side to. Since the driver's door gets the most use and your description of the problem points to the the driver side it is the most suspect.

Question: In my 2000 OBW, opening the driver's door with the key unlocks only the driver's door (even with multiple rotations of the key) yet with the remote all doors will unlock. Is this normal? If not, what is the explanation?

I believe that is normal for the door locks.

That wasn't normal for my '96. Unlocking the door with the key unlocked all 5 doors. It is only in the past few years (especially in colder weather) that only the driver's door lock gets unlocked.

With my particular problem, I noticed today that there was a 'clicking' from under the dashon the passenger's side--seemingly trying to unlock/lock the doors of the car. What's under there that is connected to the lock system??? If it is some sort of actuator, it seems sort of weak, trying

I did a test. I locked the driver's side lock manually from the inside and the clicking went away. Opened the lock up again and the clicking came back, but only the first time I performed the experiment. The second time, I got no clicking. An electrical ghost :confused:

Sweden

Thanks for the notification on the operation Sweden.

I think the sound you are hearing in the passenger door is the actuator for the lock mechanism. It is activated by a switch that makes contact when the key is turned. The switch contacts get dirty and cause the problem you are having.

they changed the lock system slightly in 97 , your key only opened the driver door after that. the haynes manual says to check the relay first under the dash if your doors are not locking properly. then check the solenoids in each door.

That wasn't normal for my '96. Unlocking the door with the key unlocked all 5 doors. It is only in the past few years (especially in colder weather) that only the driver's door lock gets unlocked.

With my particular problem, I noticed today that there was a 'clicking' from under the dashon the passenger's side--seemingly trying to unlock/lock the doors of the car. What's under there that is connected to the lock system??? If it is some sort of actuator, it seems sort of weak, trying

I did a test. I locked the driver's side lock manually from the inside and the clicking went away. Opened the lock up again and the clicking came back, but only the first time I performed the experiment. The second time, I got no clicking. An electrical ghost :confused:

Sweden

I just had the pass. side door apart. Surprise! there was no actuator there. I did go behind the pass. side cash vent and found the box that is making the clicking sound. Are the relay and 'door lock timer' the same? What I found was the latter. 12V, part 88201AC050 (Tridon). I unplugged it and played around with it a bit. I first got it to click as before. Not triggering the locks. I then locked the driver's side door lock and it all stopped. I couldn't get a repeat performance to happen...

Where would one place his money-- the actuator in the driver's door or the door lock timer?

Sweden