Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift questions for Aus

Brumby Boy

yeah na 2" is too common here i want something different, like 6" of different.

oh and my EA81 may have to come out for a rebuild sooner than i thought so if thats the case it will stay out and be replaced by an ER27 if i can find one, otherwise it will be a EJ20T

unless you plan on some decent power improvements ( read er27 or ej20t) , the benefits of any tyre bigger than 27" will be outwayed by the power reduction.

Please note this is one person's opinion.

Plenty of ppl have been running larger than 27"s without ER27's or EJ20t's

Also a new rule as of the 1st of July this year that you may not increase tire size by more than 5% . . . again, Engineer's Report necessary.

To power up or not to power up? Yes, the car is still drivable with 27s. This suits some people. I agree with the stink man: I don't know about you, but just having my car "drivable" is not really that appealing. We live in the country of cheap jap import motors, the EJ20 conversion is easy and gives a great upgrade in torque, power and economy.

Wrangler MT/Rs are not the best tires on the market - they only look good. I've had 5 mates put them on their rigs (Disco, 2x HiLux, GU Patrol, 80 Series). After they wore out (at 30,000KMS!), only one bought a second set. BFGoodrich Mud Terrain are the best.

5% SOB oh well looks like a little more time spent by the engineer when hes aproving the lift!!

If i took an engineer the specs of and the lift kit say 4" BYB or something could he aprove that or does he have to have it designed to his specs??

Yeah i know that they dont have a great life expectancy my dad has a set on one of his work Patrols and in 10000Km's they were down to 40% but they have awsome traction.

PS:where is Tumut in OZ ??

Smack bang in the Snowy Mountains, Subaru capital of the world. Near Canberra and Jindabyne etc etc.

What your engineer will need to see during construction, what the report will cover and what they will approve differs vastly from engineer to engineer. I sincerely doubt a BYB style kit will get approval without some serious bracing. Not to say that the kits aren't indestructable, but due to the deflection forces the mounts put the captured nuts under there will be some structural issues there to sort out.

The other reason is the steering extension is welded. Big no no, the ADRs (Australian Design Rules) are black and white there. Steering componants can not be welded or heat treated. No allowances for x-rays, stress tests, anything. Black and white. If you want to get it complied you will need to use a second uni and a splined shaft, not the BYB supplied extension.

As for tires . . . basic rules are the tires may not protrude from the guards (ie you'll need flares), mud-flaps must extend below the axle line across the full width of the tire. In addition, tires must not make contact with the vehicle body throught their full travel and turning arc. Your speedometer may not be any more than 10% in error.

Engine capacity or horsepower may not be exceeded any greater than 15% that of any engine supplied as OE for that model. Vehicle/Engine combinations that do not satisfy this criterium may be eligable to be complied as an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) according to the ADRs for the year of compliance (ie 2005).

Hope these get you on the right track. The best thing you can do is sit down for an hour or two with an Automotive Engineer that is certified to comply motor vehicles in Australia and nut everything out with him. It'll probably cost you $150 but you'll really benefit from it.

Nath

PS: BFGoodrich are still better! :-p

Ok thanks ill have to look into it.

I was at Quick fit this arvo and saw some Performance Modular 15 x 10 wheels fitted with 35 x 12.5 x 15 BF Goodrich all terains and i said thoes rims with the mud terains under my ute thanks, she said what the soobie, i said yeah ill just cut the gurds alittle is all good :lol: , she said :lol: :lol:

i think ill go with them if you recon they are better but it may be a while b4 i have enough $$$$ but that just means more time to plan.

thanks again for your help.

Oh this is just the tip of the iceburg. The cops used to leave us four-wheel-drivers alone, but since the New South Wales state government started cracking down on "Soccer Mums" in Landcruisers and Discoverys in the city, they've come down hard on all us modified fourby owners.

You can still register just about whatever you want, it's just a very long, tedious and expensive process. And you simply can't take shortcuts.

You guys on the other side of the lake do have a lot of stuff we don't have in the states, but then again, most of your regulations offset that. Here in the states we can get away with a lot of stuff.

You start by showing this pic http://usmb.net/albums/assorted/lift.jpg to your engineer and see what they say about it. It is a 6 inch lift that I used on my rig. I'm thinking that the bracing should prolly be acceptable, and if not, shouldn't take too much more.

As far as power to tires go, I had a mild built EA81 and ran 29.6" tires without any problems. This was with the stock 4spd, and still had full use of 4th gear. Lotsa luck to ya. Hope this all works out for ya.

• 4 weeks later...
wow they are, thats very strict

europe has it worse all hoses and belts cant be showing at all the tires can not be hanging out from under the fenders and the exhaust cant be more than 4 inches out from the bumper. last i heard i was going to do vw baja s and i just happened to come accross that. its for all vehicles not just offroad.

but yeah that is pretty strict.