Ultimate Subaru Message Board

our 91 Legacy idles at 1000 to 1200 most of the time. And is really rough on start up. And extremely rough and surges when you turn on the AC.

so far I think im looking at replacing the knock sensor, and maybe some new O rings for the injectors. Then maybe the TPS. Read somwhere that I should clean the Air control valve...where is it located?

Not avoiding you, 1phtram. Your earlier post has been driving me crazy since last night. Immediately grabbed my Haynes and looked up code 24--sure enough, "Air Control Valve" with a suggestion to "see Section 4," which I did. Nada/zip/zilch. No further mention of such a valve. Typical Haynes! (Okay, I'm off my rant!)

The nearest thing I can think of is the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). It's located just under the Throttle Body, reachable from the passenger side. It does affect your idle and often gets gunked up. Do a search and you'll find a few write-ups on cleaning it.

New knock sensor may or may not help. Same for TPS and maybe even O2 sensor. I'd first try cleaning the IACV, the MAF sensor (but be very, very careful in there) and the Throttle Body.

Anyway, good luck. And if you have questions just ask!