Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP: AutoMatic won't go into any gear

I just got done swapping a new (used 65k miles) tranny into a 96 Legacy 2.5 GT. When I shift into ANY gear it does nothing other than release the park function. The motor appears to be revving freely and it doesn't appear to do anything in the way of trying to actuate a gear. What could I have done?

Too little fluid?

Too Much Fluid?

Bad inhibitor switch? See: HERE

Any suggestions appreciated as I know nothing about automatics...

Keith

this may sound dumb but did you make sure the TC was engaged into the transmission correctly and did you remember to put the bolts from the TC into the flex plate on the back of the engine.

Well, I know the torque convertor is bolted to the flex plate. As for having the turque convertor engaged into the transmission I don't think I would have been able to bolt the transmission to the engine with out it being fully engaged but I don't know. Is there something special about doing that?

Keith

I think you broke the internal pump when you installed the transmission. With the engine running, pull one of the ATF cooler lines. No flow means no pump. But if you have a stream of ATF, check the linkage/wiring harness.

:confused:

How could one do that? I can't think of anything I would have done.

Keith

:confused:

How could one do that? I can't think of anything I would have done.

Keith

Do you recall that splined shaft inside the input shaft when you installed the TC? It has a nasty habit of not being fully engaged when the transmission is swapped. Appears to be fully seated but often it is about 1/4 " from being so. If not fully engaged it will break the pump when the bellhousing bolts are fully tighten. But just do the test I suggested. No ATF flow and you know the internal pump is damaged.

Do you remember if the bellhousing was fully seated against the back of the engine when you installed the transmission or did it seem to catch/hang up on something just before being fully seated?

Do you recall that splined shaft inside the input shaft when you installed the TC? It has a nasty habit of not being fully engaged when the transmission is swapped. Appears to be fully seated but often it is about 1/4 " from being so. If not fully engaged it will break the pump when the bellhousing bolts are fully tighten. But just do the test I suggested. No ATF flow and you know the internal pump is damaged.

Do you remember if the bellhousing was fully seated against the back of the engine when you installed the transmission or did it seem to catch/hang up on something just before being fully seated?

I'm pretty sure that shaft was fully seated. I did notice when working with it that it did pull out, but I was careful to make sure it was all the way in before installing the torque convertor. As for cathing on something or being hung up, it did that same thing as the dozen other maual transmissions that I've done where it it has a little trouble getting lined up with the extra alignment posts, but other than that it seemed to go injust fine. I'll check if there is flow later this afternoon.

Keith

blfuller repaired his. Same problem as yours. Probably need to talk to him over on xt6.net.

Thanks. I looked at that thread and saw his pictures. I'm going to start by taking the old transmission I have apart and seeing how hard it will be.

Thanks,

Keith