Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP: AutoMatic won't go into any gear

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

I just got done swapping a new (used 65k miles) tranny into a 96 Legacy 2.5 GT. When I shift into ANY gear it does nothing other than release the park function. The motor appears to be revving freely and it doesn't appear to do anything in the way of trying to actuate a gear. What could I have done?

Too little fluid?
Too Much Fluid?
Bad inhibitor switch? See: HERE

Any suggestions appreciated as I know nothing about automatics...

Keith

#2 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,779 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

this may sound dumb but did you make sure the TC was engaged into the transmission correctly and did you remember to put the bolts from the TC into the flex plate on the back of the engine.

#3 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

I think you broke the internal pump when you installed the transmission. With the engine running, pull one of the ATF cooler lines. No flow means no pump. But if you have a stream of ATF, check the linkage/wiring harness.

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

this may sound dumb but did you make sure the TC was engaged into the transmission correctly and did you remember to put the bolts from the TC into the flex plate on the back of the engine.

Well, I know the torque convertor is bolted to the flex plate. As for having the turque convertor engaged into the transmission I don't think I would have been able to bolt the transmission to the engine with out it being fully engaged but I don't know. Is there something special about doing that?

Keith

#5 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:06 AM

I think you broke the internal pump when you installed the transmission. With the engine running, pull one of the ATF cooler lines. No flow means no pump. But if you have a stream of ATF, check the linkage/wiring harness.

:confused:

How could one do that? I can't think of anything I would have done.

Keith

#6 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

:confused:

How could one do that? I can't think of anything I would have done.

Keith

Do you recall that splined shaft inside the input shaft when you installed the TC? It has a nasty habit of not being fully engaged when the transmission is swapped. Appears to be fully seated but often it is about 1/4 " from being so. If not fully engaged it will break the pump when the bellhousing bolts are fully tighten. But just do the test I suggested. No ATF flow and you know the internal pump is damaged.

Do you remember if the bellhousing was fully seated against the back of the engine when you installed the transmission or did it seem to catch/hang up on something just before being fully seated?

#7 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

Do you recall that splined shaft inside the input shaft when you installed the TC? It has a nasty habit of not being fully engaged when the transmission is swapped. Appears to be fully seated but often it is about 1/4 " from being so. If not fully engaged it will break the pump when the bellhousing bolts are fully tighten. But just do the test I suggested. No ATF flow and you know the internal pump is damaged.

Do you remember if the bellhousing was fully seated against the back of the engine when you installed the transmission or did it seem to catch/hang up on something just before being fully seated?

I'm pretty sure that shaft was fully seated. I did notice when working with it that it did pull out, but I was careful to make sure it was all the way in before installing the torque convertor. As for cathing on something or being hung up, it did that same thing as the dozen other maual transmissions that I've done where it it has a little trouble getting lined up with the extra alignment posts, but other than that it seemed to go injust fine. I'll check if there is flow later this afternoon.

Keith

#8 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:01 PM

Visit www.xt6.net. Go to the discussion section, look for a post by "blfuller" a few months old. "Engine back in but XT6 won't move, what's up...suggestions"

#9 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:12 PM

Well, you were right. I get nothing flowing through the cooler lines. So I guess now the question becomes how hard is this to fix, and can it be fixed?

Keith

#10 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

blfuller repaired his. Same problem as yours. Probably need to talk to him over on xt6.net.

#11 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

blfuller repaired his. Same problem as yours. Probably need to talk to him over on xt6.net.

Thanks. I looked at that thread and saw his pictures. I'm going to start by taking the old transmission I have apart and seeing how hard it will be.

Thanks,
Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users