Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 Turbo swap to EJ20 Turbo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 93LegSportTurb

93LegSportTurb

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Rexburg

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:10 AM

HELP!!!! I bought a JDM EJ20 Turbo out of a 94 Legacy(Ebay JDM Exchange 36K miles) to put in my 93 American Legacy Sport to replace my tired EJ22 Turbo(190K miles). I was told it was a direct swap. The swap went well. There are only two noticable differences between the two engines. The EJ20 is a DOHC and has Coil Over Plugs vs a coil pack like my EJ22. I got the engine in just fine and all the wires were color coated exactly the same and went in all the same places... however, The EJ20 has five wires (one for each coil and a common) where my harness only has three wires (one for the coil pack that controls the fire for 1 and 2, one for 3 and 4, and a common). What do I do??? I have considered taking out the coil on plugs and putting in my old coil pack from my EJ22 and just running regular old plug wires from the pack to the plugs, but it would look like an ugly jimmy rig job because there is nowhere on the top of the EJ20 Intake that I can mount the coil pack. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics if needed.

#2 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:14 AM

Could you swap the manifolds so you have some where to mount the coil pack??

#3 93LegSportTurb

93LegSportTurb

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Rexburg

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, but I was hoping to keep the one it came with because it has all the attatchments to the intercooler it came with. My intake manifold wouldn't support the intercooler and I would probably run into the same EGR issues I was dealing with before using my old Intake. Is there any easy way to go from coil pack to coil on plug? When I turn it over it sounds like it's trying to fire, is it possible that I am just not getting enough spark to keep it running?

Could you swap the manifolds so you have some where to mount the coil pack??

#4 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

Ok fair enough. What colour is your spark?

#5 93LegSportTurb

93LegSportTurb

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Rexburg

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:30 AM

How can I check it with a Coil on plug. I've checked the spark with a coil pack but how would you ground a coil on plug while cranking the engine without getting shocked?

Ok fair enough. What colour is your spark?

#6 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

If i remember correctly it is the same as with the coil pack just you have to take the entire coil off and ground the plug on the block.

#7 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

Why not just used the coil setup from the EJ22T engine, I did that on a conversion that I did and it worked fine. I created my own bracket for attaching the coil pack.

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,576 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

Search on www.bbs.legacycentral.org

There are some guys that have done this swap, and ran into the same issue.

#9 MetricSpencer

MetricSpencer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • layton

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

ej22t and ej20t intakes are a difrent port shape make a bracket to mount coil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users