Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission & tranfer case swap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crown Loyale

Crown Loyale

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampton, VA

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:50 AM

I have an 87 GL wagon w/a 5sp trans and a dual range t-case that I'd like to put in my 90 Loyale 3sp auto. I was wandering if this is an easy swap or do I need a degree? I need the dual range t-case to keep up with the jeeps up here in Alaska. Any help would be great.

#2 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:59 AM

welcome to the board!

and let me start off by saying, why do you want to get rid of the 5 spd!?!?!

you crazy monkey...

well... it shouldn't be to hard to do... you are probably going to need the ecu from an auto... but other then that it should bolt up and everything...

#3 Crown Loyale

Crown Loyale

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampton, VA

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:25 AM

No, I want to swap the 3sp in the 90 with the 5sp and t-case from the 87. I want to make my Loyale a 5sp w/dual range.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

i have done it. you will need to make a mount for the carrier bearing, and drill out holes for the diff hanger in back

other than that its all bolt on

aside from the tranny, you will need teh diff, driveshaft, entire rear suspension assembly(the tube frame has the diff mount, the trailing arms have the axle stubs) and of course, the flywheel and clutch, and the bolts for the flywheel as they are longer than the AT flexplate to crank

and, dont forget the pedal assembly

i drive min eall the time 2wd at to 4wd 5spd

the shifter and console plates fit the same there is no cutting or fabrication other than the carrier bearing mounts itself, and drilling holes in the back

#5 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:34 PM

Crown Loyale

No, I want to swap the 3sp in the 90 with the 5sp and t-case from the 87. I want to make my Loyale a 5sp w/dual range.

hehe ohhh... that makes WAY more sence... i'll try to not reply at 2 am next time... so i have some brain power to actually read the sentences...:rolleyes:

sounds good...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users