Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission & tranfer case swap

I have an 87 GL wagon w/a 5sp trans and a dual range t-case that I'd like to put in my 90 Loyale 3sp auto. I was wandering if this is an easy swap or do I need a degree? I need the dual range t-case to keep up with the jeeps up here in Alaska. Any help would be great.

welcome to the board!

and let me start off by saying, why do you want to get rid of the 5 spd!?!?!

you crazy monkey...

well... it shouldn't be to hard to do... you are probably going to need the ecu from an auto... but other then that it should bolt up and everything...

i have done it. you will need to make a mount for the carrier bearing, and drill out holes for the diff hanger in back

other than that its all bolt on

aside from the tranny, you will need teh diff, driveshaft, entire rear suspension assembly(the tube frame has the diff mount, the trailing arms have the axle stubs) and of course, the flywheel and clutch, and the bolts for the flywheel as they are longer than the AT flexplate to crank

and, dont forget the pedal assembly

i drive min eall the time 2wd at to 4wd 5spd

the shifter and console plates fit the same there is no cutting or fabrication other than the carrier bearing mounts itself, and drilling holes in the back

Crown Loyale

No, I want to swap the 3sp in the 90 with the 5sp and t-case from the 87. I want to make my Loyale a 5sp w/dual range.

hehe ohhh... that makes WAY more sence... i'll try to not reply at 2 am next time... so i have some brain power to actually read the sentences...:rolleyes:

sounds good...