Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 carb engine.. dies with no load?

Skeet's car has this issue where it will die with no load on the engine. It runs fine until you come to a stop, then it will try and die unless you gas it a little.

sometimes instead it will idle at around 2000-1500 rpms regardless of what adjusments i do to the idle screw.

Car is 1987 hitatchi carburetor with an SPFI long block underneath. Emissions stuff on the back of the engine was left off and all related hoses are stopped up.

Today we got another choke from pull N save and swapped them. The one off of his car looked OK, as did the "new" one, and the problem is still there after the swap.

Any ideas? and thanks...

my 8x wagon did that with a hitachi carb. people told me it was the idle solenoid? it lets gas into the idle circuit, and turns off when the ignition is off, so you dont get after run. mine must have been stuck shut or someting, because i ran some seafoam and it got her back to normal. hitting the brake and the gas at the same time can make for some funny red lite action.:drunk:

Guest taprackready

I'm not sure about the differences between the hitachi's of differing years but there are probably three wires going to your carb. One for the choke, one for the idle soleniod and another for the vent. Unplug and replug the connectors and see if it makes and diffenence.

Bill

• 2 years later...

Mine was acting like that, with more added issues...

I just wanna tell you that if you Can: Go Weber!, and forget the Acting CrapTachi Carb.

I did that and now my Subie is Running Soo Fine!, also more Powerful. I sugest it instead of trying to fix the Craptachi, because when it starts to acting, no Human power can fix it completely.

I had a similar problem with a carb I had turned out the idle jet had a blockage..stripped carb removed idle jet (PITA! I hate brass) cleaned it in carb cleaner, cleaned out all passages and jets..rebuild carb with fresh gaskets and new accel. pump. put carb back on purred like a kitten..drove for a week same thing happened again..was very pissed! Repeated the above minus accel. pump reassembled REPLACED FUEL FILTER and relocated it to engine bay..problem solved been running like that for over a year..

Wait till it idles too low again, then crank the idle screw till it runs normally. It seems mine has this same issue - the reason mine idles very high sometimes is if you've pumped the gas a bit, or if you've been driving it hard, it always idles high - 1500rpm, sometimes 2000rpm, I think because of extra gas lying in the manifold.

EGR light comes on every 60k - you just have to swap some connectors to clear it. Sorry - not sure which on the EA82.

I would check for some vacuum leaks when it wants to die like that. Perhaps something with a thermo-vac valve or something like that. Get a non-feedback Hitachi, or a Weber and just forget messing with that sillty thing. Or the SPFI is a good choice.

GD