Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about buying Impreza Wagon - Advice please?

I found a 93 Impreza Sport Wagon AWD for sale. It's got around 160k on it and the asking price is $1500. Sounds like a good deal to me and it matches up with Blue Book value. I'm going to go look at and drive the car tomorrow.

Assuming everything is in good shape, does this sound like a good deal to you as well?

Also, is there anything in particular I should look for besides the basics like fluids, etc.?

*EDIT* Sorry, I forgot to ask this question. What is the difference between the standard wagon and the Sport wagon anyway?

Thanks.

sounds a little high to me.i would say, offer him $1000 for it.i bet he tried to trade it in and they offered him $500.

the sport wagons were very very simular, exept they have a hood scoop, rear spoiler, alloy wheels, 2 tone painted body mouldings, and stripes.

good luck w/it

Jon

I found a 93 Impreza Sport Wagon AWD for sale. It's got around 160k on it and the asking price is $1500. Sounds like a good deal to me and it matches up with Blue Book value. I'm going to go look at and drive the car tomorrow.

Assuming everything is in good shape, does this sound like a good deal to you as well?

Also, is there anything in particular I should look for besides the basics like fluids, etc.?

Start it up and pay attention to how eagerly it cranks/fires, listen for engine noises after startup (especially hollow knocking noises), run to the rear - examine/sniff the exhaust, look underneath for coolant and oil leaks, smell for leaking gasoline odors, look at the engine while it's idling to see if it's smooth. Check for long delay of shift if auto trans, check for difficulty of gear engagement/grinding if manual trans, make sure the clutch isn't slipping if manual trans. Car should not pull to one side or other when driving on level road and steering wheel should not "warble". Bounce each four corners of the vehicle with your knee several times check the struts, etc. Turn the steering back and forth to check for play. When driving, listen for whining, grinding, or clunking noises and check that the brakes when applied - aren't pulsating or pulling to one side.

Check that the blower motor is operating on all speeds, check the operation of the temperature control for heat, check the A/C, wipers, turn signals.

In short: check everything.

The car is going to have wear on it, but calling-out defects as you perform these checks gives you some hand to offer less, then pull cash from your wallet. Don't fall in love with the car ...be prepared to walk. The seller can pick up on desperation. The idea is to look like you know what your doing.

Ulimately, plan on having to do repairs to the vehicle ...your not going to buy a $1500 car that's flawless.

*EDIT* Sorry, I forgot to ask this question. What is the difference between the standard wagon and the Sport wagon anyway?.Thanks.

The specifics depend on the year and country but as far as I know the Sport has the two-tone paint scheme, hood scoop, a little more ground clearance, and in some cases larger wheels and engine and/or spoilers and other options as a part of the sport package.

"Sport wagon" was simply the model name for 1st gen. Impreza wagon. Maybe because it was in fact a hatchback, with the structure from C-pillar forward and the floor pan same as on the sedan.

"Sport wagon" was simply the model name for 1st gen. Impreza wagon. Maybe because it was in fact a hatchback, with the structure from C-pillar forward and the floor pan same as on the sedan.

From my research it looks as though the Outback Sport Wagon was indeed a separate model, but wasn't available until after 96. The OSW had more clearance, a scoop, larger and wider tires, etc. I'm thinking of going to check out a similar 93 Impreza wagon for $2000. Are these things reliable? I'm used to my old Civic, and I don't know much of the quirks to these Subies. What repairs are expensive because of the AWD if any, such as clutch, etc?

EZ

The question was about a 1993 model, and every Impreza wagon was a "sport wagon" then for sure. Maybe they did change this designation when OBS was introduced in 1995, but I don't remember the "regular" version being called "station wagon" in any Subaru literature.

All it means is that a 1993 sport wagon is yer plain ol' wagon.

From my research it looks as though the Outback Sport Wagon was indeed a separate model, but wasn't available until after 96. The OSW had more clearance, a scoop, larger and wider tires, etc. I'm thinking of going to check out a similar 93 Impreza wagon for $2000. Are these things reliable? I'm used to my old Civic, and I don't know much of the quirks to these Subies. What repairs are expensive because of the AWD if any, such as clutch, etc?

EZ

Thanks for all your help, but the car was NOT in good condition at all. I went to drive it yesterday. The first thing I saw was a fairly large dent in the front left fender. I thought, "I'll drive it first and if everything else checks out and it drives OK, I'll try to get them to come down on the price." Well, as soon as I took off in it, I felt like I was riding on the back of a bucking bull. The car definately has torque bind.

(buck....buck...clunk...buck....while accelerating.....then smooth while going in straight line at highwayspeed.....then buck....clunk....buck....buck....clunk while slowing down and turning)

Thanks for all your help though.