Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

angry at weber

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:30 AM

i have been runing a weber on my ea82 carb motor for about 6months now, and i have never got it to run right. it seems like it needs double accelerator pumps, because when i mash the throttle theres nothing, then all the sudden she goes like crazy. which makes me think i need more fuel from the accelerator pump, does that sound right? im about to go back to a hitachi, because im not sure this 32/36 is all its cracked up to be.

in short i need some help with jetting and tuning.

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,157 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:37 AM

mine was the same way, and I ended up increasing the timing....

#3 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:56 AM

i have been trying to get the carb right with the stock timing... never thought it could be a timing issue.hrmm

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 16 September 2003 - 02:47 PM

Advance the timing to 10-12 degrees. Then after you adjust the idle adjust the idle mixture. Turn it in until the engine starts to run rough but doesn't die. Then adjust it out until it smooths out then turn it out another 1-1 1/2 turns and it should be set. Also make sure you have zero vacuum leaks. That will affect the performance more than anything.

#5 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:45 PM

It sounds like you have too big of a secondary jet and what's happening is you're giving it too much fuel.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 September 2003 - 04:46 PM

Yeah - I've had to adjust the timing as well, but I still have the same problem you describe - when I give it WOT, it tries to die, and then takes off. Also - when I take sharp left hand turns, the engine dies completely. My weber came from the weber official kit, so I don't know why it should act this way. Thinking I may have to adjust the float level, and I am going to check the fuel pump pressure as well - it sure doesn't seem very high to me.

GD

#7 Svengouli7

Svengouli7

Smile, taste kittens

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Bentucky Wa.

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:50 PM

I had increased jet sizes trying to hunt down similar problems.. had put in a larger jets... seemed to give a bit more power overall, turned out I was getting about 16-18 mpg!

I am diggin to find what sizes I have in right now... still not as snappy between primary and secondary as it should be I'd guess.

I also suffered from stalls on hard turns- whatI have read is that webers really ought to be placed with the float pin parallel to the firewall to prevent this temprary starvation. This just doesn't seem an option on our intakes due to the way the barrels are arranged- unless we go dual 32/36'ers but then htere's the linkage.....(?)

I also picked up that low initial power can be attributed to not having a big enough idle jet set up... have not messed w/ that

#8 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:34 PM

you think its too much fuel gtcraig?

#9 mudrat79

mudrat79

Banned

• Banned
  • 697 posts
  • Eugene,

Posted 17 September 2003 - 10:40 AM

Pul the Vacuum off the Disty, and Using a long piece of vacuum line test it ( the Disty Vacuum advance) at the Disty...

Do this with engine running at idleand Manually pull air off the vacuum advance, it should idle higher and stay there till you back off the vacuum...

If it pulls then drops on its own, or dosn't pull at all, vacuum advance is bad , which will cause bad hesitation at bottom end.... Very common on stock disty's

Old stock Hitachi carb doesn't pull near as hard as Weber, so it becomes more pronounced....:cornfuzz:

Hope this Helps, John in Oregon.....

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:06 PM

if i suck on the vaccum line coming off the distributor only, i should be able to get the rotor to move right?
and should it bleed down and move withh vacuum still on it, or shoold it stay in the same place as long as vacuum is there

#11 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,157 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 28 September 2003 - 07:30 PM

Good call there by mudrat! I did a little testing today on my 82 wagon, and the vac advance was bad. wouldn't hold the vacuum. I tested on some other spare distys, and it held fine. I swapped out the disty, and seems to respond better. tomorrow will tell when I take it out on the road....

#12 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 28 September 2003 - 07:48 PM

i was screwing with mine today, and i checked my advance, and it will hold vaccum. and it is still hesitating horribly. it even backfires out the carb, with a fireball, when i pull the throttle wide open, and let off it.
im gonna grab a lite and check that my timing is spot on.

#13 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 28 September 2003 - 11:14 PM

I've been having similar troubles here too. It would ping real bad then try to stall when I would initally give it gas. I backed the timing off to 6 deg btdc and that helped quite a bit. That hesitaiton is practicly gone and hardly pings any more. Also don't diesel when I turn the key off either.

Ted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users