Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I have just moved to a new city and do not know of a good subaru mechanic. Of course when you talk to any import shop they are all experts. Do you think the dealer is my best bet if the independents look shaky? I talked to two of them here (Great Falls, MT) and was not impressed with cleanliness etc. I need to have the head gaskets done on my '97 ouback wagon. I have bubbles in the burp tank and a positive dye test that these bubbles are exhaust gasses. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Actually cleanlines has nothing to do with a shop's capabilities. If you have trouble getting clear and straight forward answers from the service department, that could be a warning sign. But I would check with the better business bureau for their complaint record. See that the complaints filed are few and were resolved. On a head gasket job, I highly recommend using subaru factory parts. Its not a job anyone wants to do twice. The dealer isn't a bad choice, especially for head gaskets, first because they have mechanics that specialize in engine work, usually, second, because if they screw it up, you have more leverage to complain. I would ask the dealer who their best engine tech is, then specifically request that tech to fix the car. You can also ask how many years the tech has been a mechanic and ask if she/he is ASE engine certified. That should help.

BTW, I would also recommend an engine compression check to confirm the head gasket diagnosis...also check the engine oil, if it looks like it has chocolate milk shake mixed in with it, its definately a head gasket!

On a DOHC 2.5, I wouldn't bother with a compression test or oil check to confirm a seeping head gasket. The leak is quite small and may not show on a compression test, and since combustion gasses are leaking into the coolant, there is no contamination of the oil. Asssuming there has been some overheating and filling of the burp tank, the bubbles are pretty conclusive.

Tom

Well if you were in Bozeman I'd be glad to take care of you...........I'm not familiar with any independents in GF that specialize in Subarus. I am aware of a car that was repaired at a shop in GF that they put the cams in wrong and bent valves, so..............you may want to good with the dealer till you can get more familiar with the area and shops.