Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front brake rotors : a question about quality

I have to replace my front rotors.

Quotes for after market discs range, for 1 quality, from 110 to 90$ Can. For second quality, from 26 to 34 (Napa). The guy at Napa tells me second quality is good and is what repair shops use without any problem. He tells me they are made with recycled steel and that it's the only difference. I suspect they are made in China.

Should I buy the cheap ones or stay with first quality at three times the price?

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

I've replaced rotors a couple of times.

About 4 or 5 yrs ago, there was the OEM rotors, then there was the Six Star (Subaru of Canada) brand OEM rotors. They were a bit less, but not a lot. Maybe 20% as I recall. The dealer warned me away from them as he said they had a lot of squealing noise complaints. I did not look for aftermarket.

Last year, I was in need of rotors and pads at all corners. The dealer suggested the Six Star rotors. I relayed the above. He indicated that the problems had been resolved and would not hesitate to put the Six Star brand on my car. I went with his suggestion. No noise. Fine so far.

I don't recall the price difference off hand (but I think it had grown from the 20% figure a few years earlier). I think that it was under $100 Cdn. With a little bickering, the dealer should give you 10 to 15% off.

This is still a lot more than the inexpensive ones you mention. If you can verify that shops use them without issue, I'd say go for it. I'd really try to get a testimonial or 2. Are you doing the work yourself?

I just had to replace the front rotors on my ex's 99 Odyssey. The aftermarket ones (that the dealer suggested!) were just over half the price of the OEM ones. About $60 each.

I don't know if this helps you frag. You may want to check into the Six Star rotors.

As for the "recycled steel", that really means next to nothing. There is a lot of 'used' (both from 'consumer/industrial' product and 'steel making trimmings') that goes into modern steel. What matters is the final composition, the level of impurities, the casting quality, machining quality, etc. You are probably right though, in that it is from some Asian country. More steel is produced today in Asia and old USSR than is made in North America.

Commuter

Thanks for your inputs.

I think I'll try the second quality Napa at 34$ Can and report back.

Thanks for your lenghty response Commuter. Yes I'm doing the work myself and will be replacing the pads as well. I'm postponing the rear drums and shoes since they are a bit more involved (i did them once) and will probably need new backing plates.

I use the ones at Auto Zone for around 30.00 dollars and have only had one that gave problem. It was a little out of round but they replaced it. I am going to try the ones that are even cheaper next time. If I remember right the ones for my wifes Saturn are around 28.00 with life time warranty and around 18.00 dollars for 90 day warranty. I dont remember the price difference on the Subaru.