Ultimate Subaru Message Board

baby seat latch mod - pics

hey all,

thought i'd share another mod i did while i was installing my stereo. we have an 11 month old and since my wife stopped working to stay at home i had to put my new nissan truck up for sale and get the suby and an old beater truck to replace it and the stupid monthly payments. so aside from the power windows working after you pull the key and the remote door lock the other thing i liked about the nissan was the Latch system for baby seats. so when i got the suby, i figured i'd just make my own.

i wanted to get a long u bolt to make this, but i coulnd't find one and i was too lazy to make one. so instead i used a long eye bolt. overall it works pretty good. there is some flex in it, and it doesn''t seem as strong as an U bolt would be, but it seems like it would take a lot to break it from it's mounting. i mounted it with nylon lock nuts and big washers and i had to grind the eyelet down a little so the clips on the seat could fit.

the only caution i have for this mod is watch out for the passenger side one it is very close to the fuel lines. since there was some flex in the system i use this in -addition- to the seat belt method of mounting the baby seat. after using the Latch system, seat belts never really seem tight enough for me, so using both gives me a tight fit and a little added insurance incase my mod doesn't hold up in an accident.

anyway here's some pics, enjoy...

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Seriously. DO NOT USE THAT TO HOLD YOUR KID IN!!

That is absolutely friggin nuts. In an accident, that thing is going to bend and/or rip right out and you will have a dead kid and a severely pissed off wife.

The loyales had factory attachment points for car seat anchors in the rear cargo area of the wagons and on the rear deck of the sedans (at least according to the owners manual for my 90 loyale). Be smart and use those. If you don't have them, the safest spot in your car is the rear center seat utilizing the lap belt to hold the carseat in.

Well It looks cool and all but I am going to have to go with calebz on this one!. Most LATCH child seat anchors are made out of steel/stainless plate with a hole for the hook. Also it is anchored directly into the body with no gap between the anchor and the body which prevents the anchor bolt from flexing like yours would in an accident. I hate shooting down peoples ideas and it just might work but these things are tested throwly time after time until they are as close to perfect as can be. I dont think you want to crash you car to test it out. I just dont want anyone to get hurt! Take care and I hope you take our advice.

safety.jpg

My .02 as a seatbelt engineer:

Not a good idea

yeah yeah yeah, read the part that says "i use this in ADDITION to the seat belt mount" so it's mounted like any other baby seat in a loyale with these used to just help get it a little tighter then what you can get with just belts. so the way i see it my baby will "fly" about 1/2" tops before the seat belt does it's job. within that space if it breaks, the seat belt does what it would have done anyway, but some of the intertia will have been dampened by the mounts bending or breaking.

I knew you were going to get run over by that train when I read the post.

Jay

:D yeah should have seen that coming. should have made "in addition" bold and blinking :banghead:

i know it's no latch, but it passes my tightness test. if i can shake the car with no play in the seat it's tight enough. no matter wtf i do i can never get just a belt that tight.