Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lockers/LSD/torque, etc....

mcbrat

Only works for LSDs. If you put the breaks on with an open diff, the same torque will be applied to both wheels.

As he stated in the link, an open diff always sends the same torque to both wheels.

Just thought I'd throw in an experience I just had this week with my ford f250. I have been having a problem with backing it up, especially with a load in it. I took it to my mechanic who had put a clutch into it a couple of years ago. When I would back up it would jump, chatter, and act bound up. They looked at the clutch, and drive line system. Said it was all sound. They asked me to try something the 4 wheel guys suggested. I didn't know I had a posi traction rear end until then. May sound lame but how do you know? (the dif. had a tag on it, but only with code #'s) They recommended draining out the 90 wgt, replacing it with fresh, and putting in an additive designed for posi rear ends. I just did this and it seems to have done the trick. I haven't had a load in it, but empty it seems to be much improved.

Thanks for the links, good info. Dave.

Yes, they do require an additive for the limited slip diffs.

Easy way to tell if you have limited slip is to jack up both wheels and spin one, if the other spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If it spins in the opposite direction, then it's an open.

Did you read the links?

Yes, they do require an additive for the limited slip diffs.

Easy way to tell if you have limited slip is to jack up both wheels and spin one, if the other spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If it spins in the opposite direction, then it's an open.

tapping the brakes with an open diff will help get power to the other wheel. Belive me, I used the trick the other day to get a stackcruiser out of a slippery spot.

GM posi-lockers will act like open diffs till you spin one wheel fas enough, then whack and it locks. Kinda a high wear system.