Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rolling Fog Bank a.k.a. Smello-Yello - Part II

Bad news about old Smello-Yello ... gas in the oil.

We spoke to John (Mudrat79) and he had Tim adjust the float in the carb. It was filling up too high, about 7/8 full. Changed out the oil again and it still smoked just as bad.

He suggested a compression test. I picked up a compression tester this afternoon. Right front and rear came up 150, ooooh very cool. Left front was 135 eh, not so hot but ok and left rear >>> eeeek! <<<< only 30!

Verdict: new motor

Good news... I found one at the same place I got my tranny, with only 49,000 miles on it and it's only an hour and a half from here, so no shipping! YAY!

I swear this is the last part that could break... everything else has been changed.

Huh? Headgasket?

After reading a zillion posts about different color smoke, white, blue, black, someone even reported having brown... then the posts about water mixing up with oil, gas mixing up with oil, pcv's, some kind of modulator that is only on automatics... then the carb adjustments, etc. I thought that I was beginning to understand the issues I'm having... guess not.

Huh? Headgasket?

After reading a zillion posts...I thought that I was beginning to understand the issues I'm having... guess not.

Don't doubt yourself. After posting last time, I realized that given the smoke and low compression you were thinking rings. So, my post was a little too off the cuff. :-p

Did John have you try doing a "wet" compression reading"? Put some oil into the cylinder first, get it to spread around (a little harder with horizontal cylinders, but spinning the engine with plugs removed might do it). Compare the dry reading with the wet and see if there is a significant difference. Oil will tend to help the rings seal a little better, so worn/stuck rings will show a fairly big improvement in compression readings.

Gas in the oil is annoying, but is more of a fire/explosion hazard than instant engine death. Oil smoke out the back (blue haze) could be an indication of crankcase ventilation issues, worn oil rings, and/or worn valve seals.

Worn oil rings won't usually show up as low compression, just oil consumption/smoke. Worn compression rings could show up as oil smoke due to increased blow-by forcing oil through the "PCV" system.

It seems unlikely, though possible, for both oil and compression rings to fail on only one cylinder. It could be that they are just stuck in their grooves, if the engine had been sitting around for a while or otherwise had "history".

An HG could be blown into the oil drainback passages, causing its own "blow-by".

So, it could be either ring issues or HG...

Yikes! you had me nervous there for a minute... I'm forgetful as all get out, but I didn't think I was all gone just yet.

We have determined that my particular model doesn't have a PCV. The hoses come straight off the dome cover and plug into the underside of the air cleaner. The majority of the smoke and oil is coming from the teed hose, not the tailpipe.

In the past year, I have learned a lot about how "the wheels on the bus go round and round", but any work that needs to be done inside the motor isn't feasible on this end, it's a scary place and not for amateurs. Yanking out the old one and sticking another back in is the best way to keep our sanity :)