Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newbe with 1992 Pickup (+power steering Q)

Greetings everyone.

:drunk:

Just bought 1992 Subaru pickup, 4x4, EA81 1800cc, manual transmission. (Is it BRAT ?) :confused:

Thought about installing power steering. Is it possible ?

What other subaru models power steering will fit ?

XT Turbo ?

Leone ?

what years ?

your advice is more than welcome...

cheers..

Ezra.

1992... sounds like you have a "Brumby" which is the same thing as a "Brat" except "Brat" went out of production in the late 80's... and "Brumby" was in production for Australia, New Zealand?, and some other places apparently? until 1992? Pics would be awesome. Sorry I don't know about the Power Steering.

Ezra,

yeah, it's a Brat. It would have just been a MV Pickup on your side of the world.

you will need to try and find a PS pump Bracket (and mount bolts), lines, and rack (and possibly the x-member, but I don't think so) from any '80-'84 Soob Wagon, Hatch, Sedan, Coupe, or any Brat/Pickup from '82+

you also will need to get the t-stat cover and possibly the rad hose, as it will be longer to reach past the pump to the t-stat cover.

tstat.jpg

Ideally a 84, maybe 83. the pre-83 ones have the line locations a little different, being older, are harder to get.

your engine should already have the PS puimp mount holes tapped :)

Welcome to the board!

thanks guys....

Well... the 80's models are (very) hard to get here at Israel.

the Mid 90's and above are very common, so I guess

i'm going to have hard time trying to get the right rack (I think all other things are pretty easy to get)

Any 90's models that will fit ?

(all the brat\brumby that were imported to Israel don't have PS).

Any one got a rack for sale ? :)

I do have XT Turbo (burned, and I keep it for parting it out).

Is it's rack will fit my car ?

What about Legacy ? Leone ?

What makes those car's rack incompatible ?

Please guys... help on this one... :banghead:

and...

Here is a photo taken 2 days ago, when I got it...

I'm going to strip it back to it's unique open look with no crate at the back...

and going to for a paint job (Metallic Gray)...

http://grm.m.walla.co.il/briefcase/00f3/t/h/e/n/i/g/h/t/d/e/v/i/l/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/@/r/200210070817121764/200507261936298438/Subaru_03.jpg

you can run a ea81 pump with a ea82 rack by having the hose fittings changed. none of the newer racks will be a bolt in swap, but could work if your willing to cut/weld/fab some custom pieces....

the newer racks are wider and tie rod ends different, so you'd need to find/make a combination to work.....

do you have a better pic of the 4WD decal on the hood/bonnet?

you can run a ea81 pump with a ea82 rack by having the hose fittings changed. none of the newer racks will be a bolt in swap, but could work if your willing to cut/weld/fab some custom pieces....

the newer racks are wider and tie rod ends different, so you'd need to find/make a combination to work.....

do you have a better pic of the 4WD decal on the hood/bonnet?

Thanks.

Let me get this straight...

The XT is equiped with EA82, isn't it ?

Can I use it ?

Don't have any more photos of this sticker, and tell you

the truth, I don't even know if it's came like that

from subaru factory.

I can make some more photos of it, if you like...

but I reckon this sticker will be good as any other, isn't it ?

E.

The models that they got in the Middle East are quite different than what we got here. Where we envy a lot of the stuff that they get down under, those back East would more than likely envy most of what we've got here. Most of the Gen II's were more like our DL's and even less in some aspects. They had 2WD Brats with EA71's in em up till the 90's. Most had S/r 4wd's, some had EA81's.

So finding parts for add on stuff like P/s is pretty hard to find over there. (although pug rims are a dime a dozen!).

Ezra, welcome to the board. Ohkay, it might be easier to work out a deal with someone from the States for a steering rack and pump. Might be a little easier. If not then you could prolly have a system from the newer generation grafted in. This would require modifying the steering rack to fit into the vehicle as they are wider than the older ones and mounted differently. Then you would have to make up the bracket and mount the pump to the block, then get the right size belt to run it all. Theoritically it can be pretty easy, but it depends on your experience with working with such things as to how hard it can be. Let us know what you come up with, and we can help you through it, one way or another. Lotsa luck.

Ezra, welcome to the board. Ohkay, it might be easier to work out a deal with someone from the States for a steering rack and pump. Might be a little easier. If not then you could prolly have a system from the newer generation grafted in. This would require modifying the steering rack to fit into the vehicle as they are wider than the older ones and mounted differently. Then you would have to make up the bracket and mount the pump to the block, then get the right size belt to run it all. Theoritically it can be pretty easy, but it depends on your experience with working with such things as to how hard it can be. Let us know what you come up with, and we can help you through it, one way or another. Lotsa luck.

Thanks Adam...

I do have pretty much experience with technical issue but I want to get the best rack to start work with.

I've double checked the XT that we got. It's 87 model with EA82 engine. As I understood, the pump should be my last concern as it's pretty easy to fit one from a newer car.

I've searched everywhere, here @ Israel, for a 82-84 GLF. Few were sold here. I know that it's rack should fit, but... I didn't found one.

The most accessible rack for me, now, is the one of the XT turbo, but as far as I manage to understand you guys, it wont fit. right ?

Does any-one here got a suitable rack for sell ?

:)