Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have to tow a Subaru Legacy '96-'00 for about 400 miles. It must be done with a dolly. Is it better to have front wheels, or rear on the ground, or does it matter?? Don't want to do any damage & have never towed an all wheel drive before.

We probably need some more info - but, generally, this would be a recipe for disaster!

I suppose you MIGHT do it by disconnecting the drive shaft.

Manual or auto? (actually, I THINK the manual can be towed for limited speeds and distance with all 4 on the ground).

Carl

it seems to me that problems would occur if you did either... Like said above, disconnecting the driveshaft might be your best bet, especially at high speed and long distance, you could destroy your tranny :eek:

also you should watch for tire wear if you're going to do this, because of the whole 1/4" circumference thing... don't want to get in that range.

Remove the shield covering the rear driveshaft u-joint flange, unbolt the driveshaft from the diff flange, secure the driveshaft away from the diff flange (I zip-tied AND duct-taped mine to the exhaust system).

Best way to be sure that you don't trash the tranny. Mine survived 2000+ miles on a dolly.

Well, the best thing to do is to get ALL FOUR WHEELS up off the ground. There does seem to be agreement here!

A manual transmission car can also be towed with all four on the ground, for unlimited distance, since it's just like coasting in neutral anyway.

An auto would trash itself within 60 miles if towed with all four on the ground, or indeed just two. (But just two would trash it much faster)

So, get it all four wheels up!

I have a tow dolly, already & was trying to use it to help the friend. Car is an automatic. If I had a car hauling trailer, it would exceed towing limits of tow vehicle. I will let him get a rollback, or buy me a one way ticket back home & I'll drive it. THANKS!