Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My E brake dummy light has been coming on intermittantly for a few days now. I noticed it right after my shifter wouldn't move out of park, a little jiggling got it to go. It's a '97 Impreza with (obviously) the auto. What might be causing the E brake dummy light to come one?

I don't know how the Impreza brakes are put together. On my Legacy, there is a tiny set of ER brake shoes underneath the rear rotor. The stupid shoes kept getting stuck, just from driving in reverse. Not even using the ER brake. Every 3 months I'd have to take the rear rotors off and adjust the ER shoes. I guess I should have just replaced the return spring kit, since that was probably the cause. Anyway, I don't need an ER brake in Iowa, so I just removed the ER brake shoes entirely. I tied the cable end up with some wire and have been happy with it ever since.

You probably have a broken or weak return spring. Changing the rear ER brake shoes and return springs may do it, but also take a close look at the ER brake cable, there is a small chance that the cable is binding or damaged. A cheaper option is just to have the ER brakes adjusted...see if that fixes the problem.

Strongly recommend Raybestos brand ER shoes, the made in China crap is so out of spec, it doesn't even fit right sometimes.

BTW, if you don't fix it, it may reduce gas milege and maybe even overheat the rear brakes if they are hanging up. Don't wait too long.

My E brake dummy light has been coming on intermittantly for a few days now. I noticed it right after my shifter wouldn't move out of park, a little jiggling got it to go. It's a '97 Impreza with (obviously) the auto. What might be causing the E brake dummy light to come one?

Are you sure it isn't the "low fluid" warning light? I know, stupid question...

Are you sure it isn't the "low fluid" warning light? I know, stupid question...

No, I'm not sure. But, A) it's the light that's on when the E brake is on and usually goes off when the E brake is released and B) I can't imagine that low fluid would be as intermittant as this.