Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing belt cover bolt question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PopsicleMud

PopsicleMud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Burien

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

I'm replacing the water pump on my '92 Loyale, and it's turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. I'll soldier through, but I ran into one problem I've only seen partially addressed when I searched through the forum.

The metal inserts that the lower timing cover nuts screw into are just spinning in their holes when I try to remove the nuts. In Miles' excellent writeup (thanks, Miles!) on changing timing belts, it mentions that you can gently persuade them out by prying with a screwdriver. So what do I do when I'm putting things back together? Just press the insterts back into their holes? Should I secure them somehow?

#2 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

Once you 'forcefully massage' them out (I've had to do it a couple times), you can break the metal insert thingies loose, then just stick them back in their appropriate holes.
Assuming you don't tighten them like they were before, they should work just fine. If you have any glue lying around it wouldn't hurt to use a little bit also.

#3 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

I'm replacing the water pump on my '92 Loyale, and it's turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. I'll soldier through, but I ran into one problem I've only seen partially addressed when I searched through the forum.

The metal inserts that the lower timing cover nuts screw into are just spinning in their holes when I try to remove the nuts. In Miles' excellent writeup (thanks, Miles!) on changing timing belts, it mentions that you can gently persuade them out by prying with a screwdriver. So what do I do when I'm putting things back together? Just press the insterts back into their holes? Should I secure them somehow?

1. Real men don't use timing belt covers.

2. I use a zip tie on mine; I don't screw around with the inserts once they come out. Or just use less screws to hold the cover on; two or three should be fine.

#4 PopsicleMud

PopsicleMud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Burien

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

Wow. I take a quick break from the forum to go do some actual work, and when I get back, replies are waiting!
Thanks, guys. :)

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

Yes, try to "pursuade" them out. On the engine that I had to do that to, I epoxied them back in. I also solved that problem forever (in an apparently un-manly way :grin: ) by buying longer bolts and matching nuts, screwing the bolts in from the backside of the insert/cover and effectively making them into studs.

#6 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

Yes, try to "pursuade" them out. On the engine that I had to do that to, I epoxied them back in. I also solved that problem forever (in an apparently un-manly way :grin: ) by buying longer bolts and matching nuts, screwing the bolts in from the backside of the insert/cover and effectively making them into studs.

Yes that is unmanly, but you canceled that out by making them STUDS.

Oh yeah, use anti-seize when you reassemble.

#7 theDirtyRue

theDirtyRue

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

1. Real men don't use timing belt covers.

2. I use a zip tie on mine; I don't screw around with the inserts once they come out. Or just use less screws to hold the cover on; two or three should be fine.

So I've always wondered... what's the advantages of not using timing belt covers?

Zip tie idea sounds pretty good though...

#8 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

So I've always wondered... what's the advantages of not using timing belt covers?

Zip tie idea sounds pretty good though...

So you dont go through this pointless headache again of getting them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users