Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt cover bolt question

I'm replacing the water pump on my '92 Loyale, and it's turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. I'll soldier through, but I ran into one problem I've only seen partially addressed when I searched through the forum.

The metal inserts that the lower timing cover nuts screw into are just spinning in their holes when I try to remove the nuts. In Miles' excellent writeup (thanks, Miles!) on changing timing belts, it mentions that you can gently persuade them out by prying with a screwdriver. So what do I do when I'm putting things back together? Just press the insterts back into their holes? Should I secure them somehow?

Once you 'forcefully massage' them out (I've had to do it a couple times), you can break the metal insert thingies loose, then just stick them back in their appropriate holes.

Assuming you don't tighten them like they were before, they should work just fine. If you have any glue lying around it wouldn't hurt to use a little bit also.

I'm replacing the water pump on my '92 Loyale, and it's turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. I'll soldier through, but I ran into one problem I've only seen partially addressed when I searched through the forum.

The metal inserts that the lower timing cover nuts screw into are just spinning in their holes when I try to remove the nuts. In Miles' excellent writeup (thanks, Miles!) on changing timing belts, it mentions that you can gently persuade them out by prying with a screwdriver. So what do I do when I'm putting things back together? Just press the insterts back into their holes? Should I secure them somehow?

1. Real men don't use timing belt covers.

2. I use a zip tie on mine; I don't screw around with the inserts once they come out. Or just use less screws to hold the cover on; two or three should be fine.

Yes, try to "pursuade" them out. On the engine that I had to do that to, I epoxied them back in. I also solved that problem forever (in an apparently un-manly way :grin: ) by buying longer bolts and matching nuts, screwing the bolts in from the backside of the insert/cover and effectively making them into studs.

Yes, try to "pursuade" them out. On the engine that I had to do that to, I epoxied them back in. I also solved that problem forever (in an apparently un-manly way :grin: ) by buying longer bolts and matching nuts, screwing the bolts in from the backside of the insert/cover and effectively making them into studs.

Yes that is unmanly, but you canceled that out by making them STUDS.

Oh yeah, use anti-seize when you reassemble.

1. Real men don't use timing belt covers.

2. I use a zip tie on mine; I don't screw around with the inserts once they come out. Or just use less screws to hold the cover on; two or three should be fine.

So I've always wondered... what's the advantages of not using timing belt covers?

Zip tie idea sounds pretty good though...