Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted Loyale--shifter pops out of gear

I have a 91 Loyale with pushbutton 4WD 5-speed.

As soon as I installed my 3" Oz lift, I noticed that the shifter pops out of 1st and 3rd unless I physically hold it in gear (haven't used 5th; it's all city driving & I have 28" tires which change the gearing). 2nd and 4th don't pop out at all. Any ideas why, and how I can fix this?

You'll need to trim the plastic around your shifter boot. Take off several millimeters there so it will shift into 1st/3rd/5th with out hitting it. I used a dremel and a stone grinding tip. If you have a smooth hand you can make it look like it's always been that way.

I only use 5th if I'm going about 80mph on the freeway and I'm coming down a big hill.

You'll need to trim the plastic around your shifter boot. Take off several millimeters there so it will shift into 1st/3rd/5th with out hitting it. I used a dremel and a stone grinding tip. If you have a smooth hand you can make it look like it's always been that way.

The first thing I tried was unhooking the shifter boot from the body. No help. The shifter itself isn't hitting the front of the hole.

I have a 91 Loyale with pushbutton 4WD 5-speed.

As soon as I installed my 3" Oz lift, I noticed that the shifter pops out of 1st and 3rd unless I physically hold it in gear (haven't used 5th; it's all city driving & I have 28" tires which change the gearing). 2nd and 4th don't pop out at all. Any ideas why, and how I can fix this?

Well, this might be a clue:

Last week, I talked to Rick Johnston at Colorado Component Repair, in dealing with my own 5-speed dual range tranny popping out of first.

The VERY FIRST question he asked me, when I mentioned popping out of gear, was "is your Subaru lifted?"

(Mine is not lifted -- and was worn and needed a rebuild, apparently.)

So -- if you don't find an easy answer -- that may be a hint that this is a known problem. Known to him, anyhow (grin).

Its very easy to remove, just trim the front of it. I had to trim the 4wd lever part out also because mine rubbed.

Another thing I ran into, was the 4wd selector for the D/R would rub on the coin holder peice and the actual shifter. I simply removed it for now, havent quite come up with what I'm going to do to fill in the ugly void.

Another thing I ran into, was the 4wd selector for the D/R would rub on the coin holder peice and the actual shifter. I simply removed it for now, havent quite come up with what I'm going to do to fill in the ugly void.

I still have the coin holder on mine. It does rub but hasnt affected going in/out of 4WD for me.

Its very easy to remove, just trim the front of it. I had to trim the 4wd lever part out also because mine rubbed.

Turns out I had to actually trim off some of the body metal in front of the shifter to fix this. Works great now. Thanx to all for the advice.