Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifted Loyale--shifter pops out of gear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

I have a 91 Loyale with pushbutton 4WD 5-speed.

As soon as I installed my 3" Oz lift, I noticed that the shifter pops out of 1st and 3rd unless I physically hold it in gear (haven't used 5th; it's all city driving & I have 28" tires which change the gearing). 2nd and 4th don't pop out at all. Any ideas why, and how I can fix this?

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

You'll need to trim the plastic around your shifter boot. Take off several millimeters there so it will shift into 1st/3rd/5th with out hitting it. I used a dremel and a stone grinding tip. If you have a smooth hand you can make it look like it's always been that way.

I only use 5th if I'm going about 80mph on the freeway and I'm coming down a big hill.

#3 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

You'll need to trim the plastic around your shifter boot. Take off several millimeters there so it will shift into 1st/3rd/5th with out hitting it. I used a dremel and a stone grinding tip. If you have a smooth hand you can make it look like it's always been that way.

The first thing I tried was unhooking the shifter boot from the body. No help. The shifter itself isn't hitting the front of the hole.

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

Take the whole middle plastic part out and go drive getting upto 3rd gear...

#5 Hank Roberts

Hank Roberts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

I have a 91 Loyale with pushbutton 4WD 5-speed.

As soon as I installed my 3" Oz lift, I noticed that the shifter pops out of 1st and 3rd unless I physically hold it in gear (haven't used 5th; it's all city driving & I have 28" tires which change the gearing). 2nd and 4th don't pop out at all. Any ideas why, and how I can fix this?

Well, this might be a clue:

Last week, I talked to Rick Johnston at Colorado Component Repair, in dealing with my own 5-speed dual range tranny popping out of first.

The VERY FIRST question he asked me, when I mentioned popping out of gear, was "is your Subaru lifted?"

(Mine is not lifted -- and was worn and needed a rebuild, apparently.)

So -- if you don't find an easy answer -- that may be a hint that this is a known problem. Known to him, anyhow (grin).

#6 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

its the plastic, trust us, we know. we've been through this a million times.

#7 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

PLASTIC>>>>>CITSALP

#8 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

OK, thanks, I'll go fool around with it some more.

#9 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

OK, thanks, I'll go fool around with it some more.

Just pull that plastic piece out, go drive around, and see if it still pops out of gear. The piece is really easy to remove.

#10 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:41 PM

Its very easy to remove, just trim the front of it. I had to trim the 4wd lever part out also because mine rubbed.

Another thing I ran into, was the 4wd selector for the D/R would rub on the coin holder peice and the actual shifter. I simply removed it for now, havent quite come up with what I'm going to do to fill in the ugly void.

#11 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Another thing I ran into, was the 4wd selector for the D/R would rub on the coin holder peice and the actual shifter. I simply removed it for now, havent quite come up with what I'm going to do to fill in the ugly void.

I still have the coin holder on mine. It does rub but hasnt affected going in/out of 4WD for me.

#12 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

Its very easy to remove, just trim the front of it. I had to trim the 4wd lever part out also because mine rubbed.

Turns out I had to actually trim off some of the body metal in front of the shifter to fix this. Works great now. Thanx to all for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users