Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear lift gate door lock sticking

I have a 2001 Outback. About 1 out of 10 times when I unlock the doors with the remote control the rear lift gate door remains locked. I'm unable to unlock it with the key. I can hear it trying to open but it doesn't. Normally if I wait a period of time and repeatedly lock and unlock the doors, eventually it unlocks. Then it works fine for awhile, and then the problem starts again. Is this a lubrication issue?

andybiskin,

There are only about 3 things that could prevent it unlocking if the electrical signal is getting to the actuator. Either something in the mechanism has corroded and is sticking, something has come undone, such as a clip holding the rod from the actuator to the lock assembly, or something is out of alignment. The only way to tell, is to pull the inside panel of the tailgate and watch the mechanism as you trip the mechanism with the remote or key. Something will definitely jump out as the culprit. To remove the panel, open the gate and pull/unscrew the plugs along its bottom. At that point just grab the panel alongside the glass firmly and pull away from the gate. You will feel and hear the hidden plastic plugs come undone. Keep pulling along its width and eventually the panel will release. The lock catch ON THE FLOOR OF THE CAR pushes the lock assembly in the tailgate causing it to rotate and swing around the floor catch, and lock when you close the gate. To duplicate the action, and lock the mechanism while the gate is up, take a screwdriver of the same or slightly smaller diameter of the floor catch, and push it sideways through the lock mechanism in the tailgate until the mechanism locks. Now actuate the lock mechanism to see how parts move in relationship to each other. You may find something bent, missing, or loose. Make your repairs. Check to ensure that all hidden plugs are correctly aligned in their slots of the panel before you try to push the panel back into place after repairs are made. Its been awhile, but I recall maybe 10 such plugs or so. It really is an easy DIYer. Good luck!