Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Legacy Brighton, rear, outer boot, the large clamp is missing. It looks like it was once there. There's a pile of grease built up under it, luckily I have a few tubs of moly grease handy. Are the repair clamps readily available without the full kit? There's about 1/4" clearance around the boot, so I can't use an aircraft hose clamp. Looks like I need a clamp about 5/16" wide, 3-1/8" diameter. I'm going to try stuffing grease in there and wrapping it with a wire tie for now. Glad I found this while poking around rather than checking out a bad CV joint sound.

There's not much clearance around the boot, it has to be something low-profile. McMaster-Carr has low-profile clamps, but they need special tools. My front outer boots look like OEM replacements, with pinch-style clamps I usually see on replacement boots. Those are what I need, possibly smaller for the rear CV joints. I packed a lot of moly grease into the joint, and the zip-tie seems to be doing a good job for now.

I used to buy the clamps seperatly, Perfect Circle was the mfg I think, as the ones that came in the boot kits were wrong size and or din't work with my crimping tool. Have also seen some universal clamps on racks as well