Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everybody,

I thought I'd give you an update on what is going on with the replacement of my viscous clutch last week. This is a follow up to the thread "Strange Behaviour in Tight Turns".

After bringing the car in last week, I noticed a smell of burning gear oil when I drove home. It got worse over the next days until I noticed a good amount of smoke coming out of the bottom of the car. I looked under the car and I saw oil dripping onto the ground and also onto the exhaust pipe. I brought the car in on Monday and they said that the seal between the clutch and the transmission hadn't been replaced and it was faulty. So, while I waited most of the afternoon, they replaced the seal at no cost to me.

I left and I still noticed the smell, but I thought it was probably just some residue. When I got home last night, I got under the car and I saw oil dripping onto my driveway (a couple of drops) and onto my exhaust pipe (a bit of smoke).

I just called Subaru and they said to bring it in tomorrow, but they think it is just a question of cleaning off the oil. I said it was dripping down, but they said they can't imagine it is anything other than that seal that they just replaced, so it is probably just residue.

So, here's my question, is it possible that there's that much residue that it drips down 2 days later? I looked under the car just this morning after my commute, and it looks like a couple of more drops were forming.

Btw, the car is a 1999 Impreza Brighton, 2.2, manual transmission, 100 000 miles.

Does anybody know where, on the transmission of a '99 Impreza, you could get transmission leaks? The guys at Subaru say the only place is between the clutch and the transmission, where apparently there is a seal and a gasket.

This morning my Subaru dealer spent another 2 hours on the transmission, saying that it is not the seal between the clutch and transmission causing the problem, this time, but a gasket that was not properly seated.

I just drove it and after I park I see the same frikken smoke from diff oil leaking on my exhaust pipe. I'm praying that this is just some residue, and not a sign that it is still leaking.

Can anybody help me here?

Does anybody know where, on the transmission of a '99 Impreza, you could get transmission leaks? The guys at Subaru say the only place is between the clutch and the transmission, where apparently there is a seal and a gasket.

This morning my Subaru dealer spent another 2 hours on the transmission, saying that it is not the seal between the clutch and transmission causing the problem, this time, but a gasket that was not properly seated.

I just drove it and after I park I see the same frikken smoke from diff oil leaking on my exhaust pipe. I'm praying that this is just some residue, and not a sign that it is still leaking.

Can anybody help me here?

You might consider letting the mechanic keep the car for a coupla days and drive it around until the diagnose and fix the problem. If they think it is residue - tell them you'll happily pay for them to go wash it all off at the car wash but that you think they're wrong because of the dripping/ whatever. Also, I THINK there are fluorescent dyes that can be added, to say the engine oil, to help examine where those drops are originating. Doesn't take much oil or grease to create a LOT of smoke/vapor though. I'd make them keep the car until they make it stop smoking.

sorry to hear it's still a frustration.

Carl

Yes, for sure you want to have them add some UV tracer to the oil.

The gearbox can leak from anywhere along it's length since it's tow halves screwn together.

Is it engine or gear oil? Gear oil burning off has a VERY unpleasant smell. Engine oil tends to smell, but not so that it makes you wince.

Is it engine or gear oil? Gear oil burning off has a VERY unpleasant smell. Engine oil tends to smell, but not so that it makes you wince.

Oh, it's gear oil alright. It stinks. I called the dealer just now, and he said that the shampoo that they use will smoke, and that's probably what I saw. I must say I didn't notice the smell of the smoke that I saw because I was out of the car and walking away at that point.

So, I guess there's a gasket between the two halves of the transmission that runs its length. Does that mean they might have not re-seated that gasket together after replacing the viscous clutch?

Yes, for sure you want to have them add some UV tracer to the oil.

The gearbox can leak from anywhere along it's length since it's tow halves screwn together.

There is no gasket that runs the length of the transmission, nor the engine. These are two machined surfaces that seal together when properly assembled.

I may be wrong, but i would think the visous coupling attaches to the tail shaft of the transmission. That would mean there is a seal at the output of the transmission, input of the viscous coupling, and output (rear drive shaft).

nipper

That would mean there is a seal at the output of the transmission, input of the viscous coupling, and output (rear drive shaft).

Back when I did my research on torque bind for my wife's and my OBWs, I remember descriptions stating that the VC was attached to the rear of the transmission, so I imagine you're right. The VC itself is supposed to be sealed in such a way as to prevent someone from adding/changing the fluid within, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a seal on inbetween the tranny and the VC.