Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tall,Skinny Tires

stephenw22

Well folks, with my recent acquisition of 'the Hornet' (see sig for details), I'll be looking for some winter tires in a few months.

QUESTION:

With about 2" of suspension lift on the Hornet, what are the tallest, skinniest 14" winter tires I can fit on the car?

BACKGROUND:

Winters here are full of deep, drifting snow and lots of icy, rutted streets. 4x4s with big wide tires always end up in the ditch because they are just floating on the road. I'm looking for a tall, skinny studded tire that will dig into packed snow and bite into ice.

I tried out some teeny-tiny 155/80R13's last year, and I ended up digging myself out a few times because I didn't have enough ground clearance. The traction was amazing, though. In 2wd, it felt more like 4wd, and in 4wd, it was like driving on velcro!

I'm getting a set of 14" pugs with the Hornet, and I'd like to set them up as my winter tire set. I want the tallest, skinniest tire I can fit in there without having to hack or pound too much.

I'll have about 2" of lift, front and rear, using rx/accord springs and adjustable struts and shocks.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,

Steve

check out the goodyear m+s.....i have some 185/80/13's that kick rump roast.they are an all winter radial.probably ten thousand miles on them .you could go with a 14, but even with a 4 inch lift those tires did not look bad when i drove them.they are pretty much the most aggressive 13 inch tire there is.at least for cars....i tried looking it up online, but i could not find it. they were purchased at les schwab.....if you know what that is.

I just bought some Wildcat All Seasons 195 75 14. They are measured at 26" tall. I only have the 1" of stock lift and they clear. Not by much though, but I don't care. Anywho, I run the same tread design on my 71 F250 4x4 and they do great up in the mtn snow. Get them sipped when you get tires. That make a world of difference. Good luck

http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/light_suv/wildcat_as.html