Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

where can be the problem? bubbles in coolant?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tompalushock

tompalushock

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • florida

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:25 PM

Okay, just got back with my 83 wagon from Jersey, 3300 miles. I spoke earlier of overheating, which was really not a problem on the way home[i cleaned rad, backflushed, and put a new upper hose on] It still ran a little hot though, and i noticed today, little bubbles in the coolant. I revved it up, and it foamed up, but i still have them. I just ordered a new radiator today, but can it be something else. I noticed a little coolant drip around the cross member section[near the oil pan gasket] is that something i should get checked out, before i put the new radiator in, or will this stop that from leaking. I really don't understand why coolant would be dripping from that area? Can someone help?

#2 North Ursalia

North Ursalia

aka Captain Morgan

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Margaritaville

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:36 PM

Foamy coolant usually indicates a bad head gasket. The location you're finding coolant dripping in only serves to strengthen the suspicion I'm afraid.

#3 tompalushock

tompalushock

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • florida

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:38 PM

So if that is the case, is it fatal, or can it be fixed kind of easily?

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:04 PM

head gasket can be fixed, but your problem may not be that. There are some coolant lines on the intake manifold, and you could have a leak there somewhere - look closer to see. If it's a head gasket, you can fix that by putting in another. Check for cracks in the heads, cause you will have to remove them for the gasket job. Oh - and get a manual. For bigger jobs like headgaskets, it will come in handy.

GD

#5 tompalushock

tompalushock

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • florida

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:08 PM

is it easy to find the coolant lines? What area are they in?

#6 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:41 PM

top of the motor , check heater hoses , this might be a bad answer but ck the over flow tank , mine went bad :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users