Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Engine Variations?

As an alternative to buying a used motor, I wrote to CCR about getting a rebuilt motor for my '78 Brat.

This is an excerpt from the response I received from CCR:

"In your case, since there are so many variations in the late '70s EA71 engines, the best way to be sure you are getting the proper engine is to rebuild yours."

What puzzles me is that I thought an EA71 was an EA71 was an EA71?

Since the cars rusted out long before their time, I found several low mileage motors available right here in Mass. The man at the salvage yard made no mention of different motors nor did he ask any questions about my car, just the year and model.

Can anyone explain what the variations could be and if they could cause problems with the swap?

I know of these variations for sure....

1. pre-80/early ea71 - solid lifters, starter on top

2. 80+ "fatcase" ea71 - solid lifters,starter on top. block case was larger. uses the same waterpump or oil pump as ea81 (I think).

3. 84?+ ea71, with bell housing that mated to ea81 trans. starter on side.

4. ea71 with hydraulic lifters. these were JDM replacement engines. I would assume they are 84+ vintage

I bought an import motor from Raising Sun severel years ago. I bought the engine, clutch, and shipping...came to 500. It is an hydraulic lifter, and has run great. I hired a mechanic to install and he put in a weber that came with the brat. It is a '78 brat. I just gave them the info they asked for. I'd do it again. Dave.

I pulled the original EA71 out of my '78 Brat due to mas amounts of oil leaking and I got my hands on the ultra rare high compression engine but didn't knwo it until after I dropped it in. Wow what a difference in power... It worked fine for me and so I don't really know why CCR told you there are "different variations" unless they ment what McBrat just listed out on them...