Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

need your advice - coolant recovery tank loyale.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moshem74

moshem74

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:00 AM

hi.
i've been thinking...
if i making a small hole on the cap of the coolant recovery tank, does it helps to reduse the presure of the water when i become hot...?
will it help the water sistem even by little...?

thank you all for your fast answer.

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

The actual cooling system must be under pressure to function properly. as far as the overflow tank, why? if you have that much pressure in the bottle then you need a head gasket, not another hole.

#3 KStretch55

KStretch55

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the cap doesn't fit well enough to cause a seal anyway. It's made that way on purpose so there isn't any vacuum when the radiator cools and the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.

#4 PopsicleMud

PopsicleMud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Burien

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

I haven't looked that closely at my overflow tank, but I assume it's open to the atmosphere already. Most overflow tanks have an outlet to spill off excess.

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

Moshe, as the others have written, the overflow tank is already vented, and further venting of the cap will not accomplish anything useful. As Noah wrote, if you think that it is not enough venting, then you probably have a serious problem that you need to resolve.

#6 azsubaru

azsubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

What the other guys said. I lost the cap to my overflow tank several months ago, and the only thing it changed is that now I have to add a little coolant every now and then, I guess due to evaporation.

#7 moshem74

moshem74

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

got it
thank you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users