Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket (summit racing) fuel pump issues

anyone ever install a summit racing fuel pump?

i bought the same one that myphalyx has on his XT6 and i could not get it to work. everything works fine with my old 220,000 mile original fuel pump, but when i try to install the summit pump it acts goofy. seems straight forward even fit into the stock fuel pump bracket with almost no effort.

i tried giving it power directly and it didnt' seem to work very consistently, mostly didn't work at all though i do recall it pumping once or twice when i had it wired directly with 12 volts.

i'll have to give it another try for specifics but has anyone gotten this to work? any idea what resistance should or shouldn't be between the terrminals?

IT'S TWO WIRES AND A PUMP, HOW HARD CAN IT BE!! pardon the caps...

It's two wires, a pump, and a relay ;)

Arch used the Ford fuel pump conversion for his ER27. Shoot him a PM about this; he should be able to tell you how he properly wired it up to the wire harness so the ECU controls the pump. It's not just wired hot off the battery or ignition circut.

nah i'm not. i'm going to test the old one once more just to make sure then i'm getting another shipped to me next week.

this is from memory but i think the pump worked with very thick gauge wires from the battery (like jumper cables), but if i used thin wires it wouldn't do anything. so i guess that's why it wouldn't work on the car, thin wires throughout. any electrical guru's know what that means?