Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please give advice for buying an imp!

01883161.jpghi, I am contemplating buying this imp obs for $8000 from a lot (talked them too, I bet I could get them to take $7700 or so?). it drove fine, and the motor seemed to run strong, however I am not familiar with subarus at all (american truck work only). is there anything to look for as for problems in the motor? it has 87k on the motor, no dents etc.. power, 5spd with the 2.2l. what do you all think of this deal? Thanks !!

chris

http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/01883161.jpg

Looks like a good deal, I got one just like that a little over a year ago for $9,000 and it wasn't nearly as clean as that appears to be. The Impreza Outbacks have the 2.2l engine which is one of the most reliable Subaru has made. I got mine at 68,000 and have put 30,000 more on it and the only money I've spent for things other then routine matnience was for a new o2 sensor.

01883161.jpghi, I am contemplating buying this imp obs for $8000 from a lot (talked them too, I bet I could get them to take $7700 or so?). it drove fine, and the motor seemed to run strong, however I am not familiar with subarus at all (american truck work only). is there anything to look for as for problems in the motor? it has 87k on the motor, no dents etc.. power, 5spd with the 2.2l. what do you all think of this deal? Thanks !!

chris

http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/01883161.jpg

Get it inspected by a good SUBARU-experienced mechanic. If he finds anything wrong, deduct the repair cost from your offer. Your first offer should usually be about 15% less than their asking price. Don't try to negotiate if you're not willing to walk away from the deal - they can smell fear! hah!

Carl

Car looks very nice but I'm not too familiar with Imprezas. What year is it? What kind of tranny? AWD or FWD? Do they have any history or service records? Be aware that if it's a post '96 2.2L it is an interference design, thus the timing belt must be changed religiously--it ain't the bulletproof 2.2 of old!

But definitely don't get "emotional" about the car, offer them less, let them know how to reach you or that you'll check back later--then walk away for a day or so!

Good luck!

(Ooops, sorry. I just noticed that you said it's a 5-spd.)

definitely a great car. stick with the 2.2 liter motor, great motor. you definitely want to check the timing belt as it's well past due. you'll want to replace the belt, water pump, tensioners and reseal the oil pump properly (tighten screws in the rear of the pump....that's all over the boards here as a common issue). that is all regular 70,000 mile maintenance that you'll never know if it's been done or not. that's a nice ride and should last along time if taken care of.

ok I got it. I didn't see where it had a bit of oil on the outside of the engine and I'm a bit worried though.. It is right where the timing belt is on the bottom. I only know american motors, so I'm kind of out of my department with this car. and I couldnt fit under to look that well when I bought it. where do they tend to leak? Should I be worried?

thanks

chris

So you bought it--congratulations! Hope you got it for a good price.

Hopefully the "bit of oil" is no big thing, but you really won't know until you drive it awhile and see how much oil it uses. A little oil leakage may not be a big concern (it's kind of a Subie "thing!")

I think you'd be wise to replace the timing belt as soon as possible. Also replace the crank & cam seals, reseal the oil pump--maybe even replace the water pump as a preventative measure. Search the forums--there's plenty of good info on here.

Shame you didn't catch the oil situation before you bought. It might have been a good bargaining point on the price, maybe worth a few hundred dollars.

Am still curious--what year is it? AWD or FWD?

Best of luck.