Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well...its that time again...

...for yet another episode of "WJM breaks something"

I was headed to Asheville today...from Top Speed...to get some parts and hang out at tomorrow's autox.

I took the 'Dragon Route'....aka head up 400 to 19/129....nice twisty roads up hill....bypassed the dragon ofcourse, as I was hauling butt to get to prestige on time. STILL made better time going that way than pure interstate....which means I was going rather fast. :devil: :banana:

So...nice long hard run thru the mnt roads...and I make it to A'ville fine and dandy and barely on time to get parts.

So I get to Kent's place...and the temp guage is rather high...i check the system...fans are on...blwoing cold air thru the radiator... :confused: LOTS of air in the system. I let it cool and refill...it didnt take much, maybe 1 qt. :confused: It acts funny sometimes, and it leads me to think the original from 1996 with 204,000 miles on them headgaskets are stsrting to go and are already leaking a microscopic bit.....

So, looks like its headgasket time. STi headgaskets for me!

So, if I am going to do that AND buy new tires for it (with what $ i ask myself? Seriously....what $?)...I might as well keep it as it will be reliable again.

So....might as well find some front and rear bars and endlinks, fix the brakes (TOAST after the mnt run) with some slotted rotors, lines, motul 5.1, and some Panther P+ pads....some good wide tires for the 15" stock rims...say, 225/70/15 Sumitomo HTR200...work on the intake and exhuast, and it'll be a fun to drive and reliable daily driver...I hope. Yes, 70 series sidewalls so I can run over curbs, sidewalks, trees, nasty bumps and other things of that nature with ease....afterall, it IS an Outback.

Meanwhile the RX will have along and teadious complete and total rebuild this winter.

Cliffnotes: WJM blows another headgasket on a SUBARU.

...for yet another episode of "WJM breaks something"

It acts funny sometimes, and it leads me to think the original from 1996 with 204,000 miles on them headgaskets are stsrting to go and are already leaking a microscopic bit.....

So, is this the same 96 that is giving you all kinds of issues on the DYNO? If so, what are the odds that either you created the problem with all your DYNO pulls (you know even with them big 4 foot diameter fans it not quite the same as driving at 60mph) o could this be what's causing the power problems??

Keith

So, is this the same 96 that is giving you all kinds of issues on the DYNO? If so, what are the odds that either you created the problem with all your DYNO pulls (you know even with them big 4 foot diameter fans it not quite the same as driving at 60mph) o could this be what's causing the power problems??

Keith

same issues before....during...and after, and YEARS before dyno too.