Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found an easy exhaust manifold bolt fix

well after listening to my sooby sounding horrible for about a month, i finally decided to get around to fixing it. what had happened is i had managed to strip out 1 bolt hole on each side. well the other day i dug into my coffee can of bolts from when i had stripped my 87 and found 2 brass looking bolts with a double washer setup on them and a slightly tapered end. (im not possative but i think they were from the rear tow hooks) anyways they threaded right into the holes and snugged up real nicely and stopped the exhaust leak completely. i gotta take off my tow hooks tomorow to bolt up my trailer hitch, so ill check out the bolts and see if that was where those bolts were from.

The best fix I found for this same problem is to take a 7/16th tap (assuming the original was a 10mm diameter bolt) and tap out the stripped hole with it. Works perfect with no drill or pricey Heli-coil. I used a fine thread (7/16-14) and used a dual thread (fine and course on opposite ends) stud.

I went to everybodys favorite auto parts store (insert heavy sarcasm here), Advanced, and bought a toyota Corolla manifold kit (you actually need two for a sube). This kit includes two bolts and three exhaust studs.

I tapped the hole using one of the bolts. :brow: Then I put high temp locker on the one end of the stud and high never seize on the side the nut goes on and screwed it up in there. :)

Seemed to work better then the bolt trick. Especially if you want to be able to take your exhuast off for upgrades/oops a rock or something like that.

• 1 year later...

My brother went down to the hardware store, and bought a course threaded SAE bolt a little bit bigger that the hole. Then, took a !/2 impact gun and just pounded it in there:lol: Wouldn't recomend it, but it works.

just go to a toyota dealer and get some exhaust studs and nuts there, it's the exact same diameter and pitch as subies (M10x1.25) and won't cost you an arm and a leg

just don't screw around with american sizes in there :rolleyes: get the proper bolts or don't bother at all.

if the threads are stripped out, then supposedly you can tap it out to 7/16" thread of a similar pitch without drilling any further.. just work the tap in 1/4 turn at a time and back it out.. but thats just hearsay. there was a big long hotly debated thread about this that was last posted in oh, say a week or ten days ago. go find that and read it through for all your options. there were like 80 replies.

Well, the manifolds are "semi-stripped." So I guess Im gonna try the 7/16 tap thing......Hopefully, my buddy has a tap.:-\

Do the 7/16 studs. That is the best way. Leaves room for a bump up to 12mm or for a helicoil in the future. Don't need to drill, just go slow and careful with the tap. And use lots of oil and don't force it.

Do the 7/16 studs. That is the best way. Leaves room for a bump up to 12mm or for a helicoil in the future. Don't need to drill, just go slow and careful with the tap. And use lots of oil and don't force it.

Yah, I was just repeating what I had heard gloyale say in a previous post. listen to him, not me; I havent been there or done that. I was just tryin to help :)

toyota bolts are generally x1.00 threads. or was it x1.50? i do know its different. but that makes sense if they thread into soob exhaust holes if they are stripped out

Hey Miles,

My "Muffler Man" sold me a dozen 10X1.25 studs, nuts and washers. This for Justy exhaust, converter to front pipe, and some spares

He did indicate, I think, that Mazda took the X1.50 and I believe he said most other Asian stuff uses the X1.25. YMMV, of course.

Later