Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"new" transmission and now torque bind?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 badjer

badjer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • georgia

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:16 PM

Hi All again

About 3 weeks ago I went ahead and had my 96 Outback (2.2l, 5 spd mt, 193k) worked on and got a new clutch, 'new' transmission from a local place my shop talked to, timing belt, water pump, etc done at a local mechanic. Now I notice on tight, slow turns that the car does not roll freely and needs a little extra gas. Is this the dreaded torque bind in action? The car did not do this before, so is this a problem coming from the new transmission or did something get damagage/rearranged during all the work that was done? What is my next step.. live with it or take it back? thanks

badjer

#2 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,579 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Can't answer your question, badjer--am sure some of the "torque bind" gurus will have some good thoughts on it. But I would definitely go back to the shop and discuss it with them. At least you'll be on the record with them about the problem.

Good luck.

#3 simbey1982

simbey1982

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:16 AM

tourqe bind is a knocking sound that kind of shakes the car...mine was always present at more speed than slow.....i would look elsewhere.....PS its also more prevalent in AT....but check your tire pressure....have a 4 wheel alignment done, and balance your tires

#4 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:30 AM

Make sure the front and rear axle ratios are still the same. If they are, the viscous coupling was replaced with the new transaxle, and may be bad.

#5 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

why did the old tranny need to be replaced?

#6 badjer

badjer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • georgia

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

It had a loud whine under acceleration, and rattled/knocked when it was out of gear and clutch was out. My mechanic (whom I have trusted so far) said it might as well be replaced while the clutch/timing belt/water pump was being done since the labor would be about the same either way.

badjer

why did the old tranny need to be replaced?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users