Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap 2.2L into a 2.5L car?

Cliptin

no you do not need the 2.5 computer. people have even used the EJ18 computer to run a EJ25, but i wouldnt reconmend it. should literally bolt up, plug in and drive her around, as long as you get the dual exhaust EJ22, and not the 'preza single port. but as always, do some homework, but this has been done to many cars that had the Phase I EJ25.

~Josh~

alright, i have done this swap.. in my 99' outback..

you need a 95' model year 2.2L engine, they were the only ones that had the dual exhaust ports (1 hole = single port, 2 holes = dual port)

you will need the 2.2L intake manifold, the 2.5L intake will not fit.

you use the 2.5L transmission, flex plate and torque converter. put it all on the 2.2L engine and its plug and play.

everything bolts up with the exception of the power steering line support bracket (on the 2.5L only)

you leave the stock 2.5L ecm in the car, i never had to mess with that.. it will run the 2.2L even though the 2.2 is a single overhead cam.

i've got ab out 6k miles on mine now since its been converted.. no problems as of yet..

ohh you will either need to get a charcoal canister or just cap off the lines on the 2.2L intake. the 2.5L never had a charcoal canister..

happy converting :)

you need a 95' model year 2.2L engine

So I gotta find a MY '95 Impreza or Legacy donor... cars101.com says the Legacies were all 2.2L, the MT Imprezas only had the 1.8L, and the AT Imprezas might have the 2.2L or the 1.8L. I'd go CCR, 'cept I don't have the cash.

you will need the 2.2L intake manifold, the 2.5L intake will not fit.

you use the 2.5L transmission, flex plate and torque converter. put it all on the 2.2L engine and its plug and play.

What if I've got a manual transmission? Obviously no torque converter there... I'd have to find a MT EJ22 to get a EJ22 flywheel if it matches, or do I use the flywheel from the EJ25? I assume I get to keep the EJ25 clutch.

everything bolts up with the exception of the power steering line support bracket (on the 2.5L only)

So by saying "everything bolts up", all my "engine accessories" from the EJ25 will carry over to the EJ22? It'd be nice knowing I'd have all these viable spare parts...

ohh you will either need to get a charcoal canister or just cap off the lines on the 2.2L intake. the 2.5L never had a charcoal canister..

Charcoal canister. Check. Gotta find someplace to mount it.

happy converting :)

Oh yeah ;o). Been driving the OBW for a week, and I already want to take it apart, change stuff, and put it back together.

2)The 2.2 doesn't have the potential HG problems of the 2.5.

1)I already have one.

Ok, dumb question of the day:

Why goto the 2.2 instead of the 2.5? Stronger? More reliable? Even tho it's got less horses? Please enlighten me.:)

So I gotta find a MY '95 Impreza or Legacy donor... cars101.com says the Legacies were all 2.2L, the MT Imprezas only had the 1.8L, and the AT Imprezas might have the 2.2L or the 1.8L. I'd go CCR, 'cept I don't have the cash.

legacies up to like 96 or so all had 2.2's, my 2.2 came out of a 95" 2 door auto Impreza that was wrecked. check the junk yards, i'd imagine there are a some legacies around that have what you need..

What if I've got a manual transmission? Obviously no torque converter there... I'd have to find a MT EJ22 to get a EJ22 flywheel if it matches, or do I use the flywheel from the EJ25? I assume I get to keep the EJ25 clutch.

if you want to keep your 2.5 starter you will need to use the 2.5 flywheel and clutch, otherwise you will need the 2.2 flywheel, clutch and starter.

So by saying "everything bolts up", all my "engine accessories" from the EJ25 will carry over to the EJ22? It'd be nice knowing I'd have all these viable spare parts...

your 2.5 alt, ac, ps, starter, etc will all mount onto the 2.2. if i remember correctly the 2.5 brackets will mount on the 2.2 as well.

the Intake manifolds will NOT interchange, everything else will.

Charcoal canister. Check. Gotta find someplace to mount it.

easy one.. personally i just plugged my ports and never put a canister in there.. seems to be working fine..

Oh yeah ;o). Been driving the OBW for a week, and I already want to take it apart, change stuff, and put it back together.

nice car eh? once you do the engine swap you'll like it even more, just knowing your not going to have a headgasket blow..

I too have an ej22 conversion in my driveway and I am not looking back!

The car I bought had no engine in it, but formerly had a 2.5 DOHC. Exhaust all bolts right up to the 1995 heads, intake off the 95-97 EJ22 with EGR passage works fine, and my only problem is the charcoal canister purge valve code coming up because I am too lazy to do something about it. :)

Mine passed Colorado emisssions with flying colors.

The debate over what engine is most reliable is really unnecessary.

In my opinion the ea81 is the best, followed closely by the ej22, ej18 and 2.0 non turbo. The single overhead cam engines would have to win over a dual overhead IMO just from a "less moving parts" argument.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
my only problem is the charcoal canister purge valve code coming up because I am too lazy to do something about it.

what could you do to get rid of that code and the CE light?

can a single port 2.2 Liter exhaust manifold be used in place of the DOHC dual port exhaust? and then everything is a straight swap?

what year is the car in question? if it was DOHC it was probably a phse 1. generally you need to stay with a phase 1 motor if it is a phase 1 car for sensor issues to avoid a lot of wire hassles.

as far as the running a ej25 on ej18 stuff, they run like a bat out of hell due to all the timing advance on the ej18 ecu.

some stuff to watch out for: crank and cam angle sensors may be different ej22 vs. ej25.

phase 2 ej22's are single port, where as the phase 2 ej25's are dual port.

it is all pretty confusing I know. maybe just get the special all metal head gaskets which are available now to counteract the head gasket problem. I used them on my motor(ej22 heads on a ej25 block all phase 1) and they are cool, pretty much a bunch of thin layers of sheetmetal with crush areas.

i'm looking at a '97 2.2 (i also have a 98 2.2) swap into a 1996 DOHC 2.5. i'm aware of the updated head gasket, this project does not warrant a head gasket replacement.

sensors will swap according to those that have done it......i'll install the single port 2.2 header and then the charcoal canisters/ CEL are the only issues to look into from what im' seeing of others that have done it.

my questions still stand....

• 3 weeks later...

I had the garage/dealer who sold the car to me handle the swap (may as well, if he's gonna do it under warranty). I believe he simply plugged the vacuum lines that would've lead back to the charcoal cannister. This should eliminate that CEL from popping up.

I don't know anything about swapping the exhaust headers though...

Whoah, whoah, whoah.... About the single vs dual port EJ22 exhaust... does anybody know for sure which engines had which exhaust?

I can tell you for sure that:

My 96 Legacy had single port.

The Canadian 89 Legacy engine my my EA82 wagon has dual port.

My friend's Legacy, which I think is a 91, has dual port.

A Canadian 92 Legacy engine, which I almost used for my swap, has dual port.

So all of the wiring harness connections on the EJ22 intake manifold will plug right into the body-side connectors of the EJ25 car?

up to 95 had dual port exhaust. after that 2.2's have single port exhaust.

95 has EGR compatible stuff that 94 and earlier doesn't have, making it a little easier compared to other years.

anyone know what years have 2 and 3 connectors? 97,98,99 2.2's all have 2 or 3 connectors?