Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rocker cover leak

I'll start from the top.

About a month ago I noticed a leak on my engine. It was coming from the left rocker cover (if you look at the engine from in front of the car it would be on your right side.) I pulled both rocker covers off and adjusted the tappets. I put the rocker covers back on with the original gaskets (not too good looking) and I used gasket silicon to help. I did the bolts up to about 15nm to 25nm. The one that wasn't leaking is fine. The one that was started leaking pretty bad, about 3 drops ever 5 seconds once warmed up. It appears to be only leaking out the bottom of the rocker cover. I pulled it off and cleaned up the cover, put a new gasket in and used non-setting gasket goo and it still leaked. I tried doing the bolts up at 5nm and 25nm... Still leaking. (Each time cleaning the cover and new gasket and re applying silicon, gasket goo, and the works!) Still leaking. I just pulled the rocker cover off again. The head it smooth, the cover is flat... Nothing looks wrong! Any ideas on what I can do. I'd like to fix it today as I have planed on going offloading tomorrow... Help please. Thanks!

Your problem maybe from overtightening the 2 bolts. The Torque spec it 3 to 4 Nm (Newton Meters). Also the quality of the gasket maybe an issue. I know you said the head's surface felt clean but you realy need to give it a good visual inspection, any only and hardened cork may cause problems.

I tried it by the manual. 3 - 5 nm... It didn't work, same amount of oil leaking out. And as for the gasket. I'm using a old, shrunken one of the other side... Works fine, no leaks. BTW, I have taken off and put on the rocker cover 4 times in different ways. Same thing everytime, same amount of oil leaking out.

I thought maybe it was a cracked head. But you can see the oil leaking out around the rocker cover and the head has no cracks!

You say it's coming out the bottom. Are you sure that it's not leaking from somewhere else and it's just collecting and dripping from the bottom? I had a leak near the top on an EA82 rocker cover and it acted like the leak was on the underside, because it just ran around the gap between the head and the cover and dripped from the lowest point.

Gravity, what a pain, huh?

Defiantly the bottom. I degreased the engine and you can see it coming out of the bottom.

I done some measuring on the rocker cover and gasket. On the rocker cover you know that lip that holds the gasket so it doesn't just squeeze out? Well on the bottom of the rocker cover that lip is 0.5mm taller. And there’s a chance it’s not squeezing the gasket enough because it’s touching the exhaust outlet... The gasket does look less shaped on the bottom then the top. I have an idea, grind down that lip on the rocker cover 1mm or so and bolt the whole thing back together. Bad idea? I think the other side mustn’t have this problem on the rocker cover. And I think if I had a thicker gasket (the one I got is a 5.5mm one) maybe this wouldn't be a problem. So I'm guessing GLCraigGT might be right with the elcheapo gasket idea. Doesn't explain how an older thinner gasket was only leaking a little till I took the cover off. But maybe this might work. So is grinding a couple of mm of the cover a bad idea?