Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 Outback Car Alarm problems...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smith, Mountaintop PA

Smith, Mountaintop PA

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Mountaintop, PA

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:00 PM

I have a 97 Outback w/ car alarm and keyless entry that is being set off by other car keyless entry systems. This only happens when the Outback is parked and turned off w/ the car locked. I've seen it go off when a Catalac, Chevy and GMC owners unlock or lock their cars. Any suggestions would be apprecited.
g

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Is this factory keyless entry and alarm, or aftermarket?

If it's aftermarket try to find out the brand and look into what options you have for reprogramming the remotes. I believe most newer car alarms use rolling codes that would only allow a transmitter with the correct code sequence to do anything. Not exactly sure how that all works, but if it's listening to anything that talks you may just have a bad alarm brain that needs replacing.

Keith

#3 Smith, Mountaintop PA

Smith, Mountaintop PA

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Mountaintop, PA

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Is this factory keyless entry and alarm, or aftermarket?

If it's aftermarket try to find out the brand and look into what options you have for reprogramming the remotes. I believe most newer car alarms use rolling codes that would only allow a transmitter with the correct code sequence to do anything. Not exactly sure how that all works, but if it's listening to anything that talks you may just have a bad alarm brain that needs replacing.

Keith

Keith, it's a Subaru factory installed and now I'm embarrassed if it thinks like a GM product ;-)
g

#4 RedSubieMan

RedSubieMan

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Greensboro

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

I own a 98 Legacy Outback 30 Year Anniversary Edition and have this same EXACT problem!!

There is a person at my work who recently purchased a new truck. Whenever he locked his doors, my alarm went off!! At first, he thought someone was playing a joke on him. After a week, he finally realized the coincidence and confronted me with the issue. I since had to start parking on the other side of the building.

Over time, my car seems to have become increasingly sensitive to other peoples remotes at the shopping mall and restaurants. It's almost to the point where I'm afraid to activate the alarm because someone will trigger the alarm with their remote.

I have very interested if others have this same issue and what fix might be. The local subaru shop wanted to charge me $100 worth of diagnostic time to find out what the problem might be. Then again, they charged me $100 to read an OBD code.

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

and now I'm embarrassed if it thinks like a GM product ;-)
g

That's a great line, Smith!!!

#6 Tisha B.

Tisha B.

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

That's a great line, Smith!!!

Has anyone learned the answer to the mysterious activation of the '98 Subaru Outback security alarm? We have documented various neighbors who use their remotes setting off our Outback's alarm. I have "reprogrammed" the Code Alarm remote, hoping that will solve the problem......but we just dont know, any ideas?

#7 RedSubieMan

RedSubieMan

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Greensboro

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

I found a solution to my problem!

Over the last 8 years that I owned my 1998 Subaru Outback Limited Edition Wagon, a particular one of my keyless entry remotes failed three times. Up until the last year, I had the luxury of taking my Subaru back to the dealership where I purchased it and they would re-program the remote for free.

This last year, I since moved and had to take my Subaru to a new dealership where they like to charge for this kind of service, so I lived using only one of my keyless entry remotes. This turns out to be the problem. It appears that the alarm electronic control unit needs to have two keyless entry remotes programmed to it. If you leave it with only one single keyless remote programmed to it, it becomes sensitive to all other worldly remotes.

Solution to problem:

Re-Program BOTH keyless entry remotes to your Subaru! I have a Code Alarm System and it appears to be sensitive to other peoples remotes if you have only a single keyless entry remote programmed to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users