Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'00 OBW: Remote Entry Keyfob Thingie Replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:22 PM

So www.cars101.com states that my wife's 2000 OBW should have remote entry, since they state that it came standard... but when we bought it from the previous private owner, they didn't give us one of the remotes. The security light appears to be installed on the dash. There aren't any "Factory Installed Subaru Security System" decals on the windows, though, like my '97 OBW (which has the remote entry). From the research I've done, I can order one from the dealer and reprogram the system for the remote.

However, the dealer states there are two designs available. Will the two designs interchange, so I can pick one and go with it, or do I have to figure out which one came with it? Or is cars101 incorrect, and she doesn't have remote entry?

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:37 PM

Before you spend a lot at the dealer I would try looking at Ebay for a replacement remote. I picked one up for my '01 model for $10 dollars.

I don't think that the remotes will interchange with each other. You may have the Alpine system in your car.

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

http://www.cars101.c...html#code alarm
Keyless remote info.

#4 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

So www.cars101.com states that my wife's 2000 OBW should have remote entry, since they state that it came standard... but when we bought it from the previous private owner, they didn't give us one of the remotes. The security light appears to be installed on the dash. There aren't any "Factory Installed Subaru Security System" decals on the windows, though, like my '97 OBW (which has the remote entry). From the research I've done, I can order one from the dealer and reprogram the system for the remote.

However, the dealer states there are two designs available. Will the two designs interchange, so I can pick one and go with it, or do I have to figure out which one came with it? Or is cars101 incorrect, and she doesn't have remote entry?

This post is a little incoherent: You state that the previous private owner didn't give you one of the remotes - Did they give you the other one? If you don't have any remotes, get one and try it out; you probably have remote entry but not an alarm system.

What do mean about there being two designs available? Are you referring to the keyfobs? On each 5-year model change Subaru seems change to the keyfob. The 2000 to 2004 keyfobs are an odd shape, the earlier ones having grey buttons and the later ones having an orange and a blue button. They're interchangable. I have gotten two or three of them from eBay for about $10 each.

#5 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

Remind me not to post right before I head to bed... I may understand myself, but few other people do :drunk:.

The previous owner didn't give us any remote... just a set of keys. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a security/alarm system installed, as I don't see any emblems or mysterious black boxes :).

I do believe I misquoted cars101.com as saying that there were two designs available... I looked at their page again, and couldn't find it. Must've been some online parts ordering company instead.

As long as the keyfobs (the grey ones and the colored) are interchangeable, I shouldn't have a problem tracking one down (got a hit on the Marketplace already).

I appreciate the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users